Newbie guy needs critics and aid.

dualboy24

Hey all;

Just joined and posted in the general chat section with my background. Here is my preview site.

http://www.pingme.ca/

I have a list of things I need to do:

1. Finish signup coding for some packages and the code to format the email to the user and the info to the staff.

2. Do the homepage (need to figure what to do for each of the banner sections text and images and backgrounds) need to figure what to put in the three box sections.

3. Was going to redo the internet services entry page and the domains entry page to have a similar layout to the phone services page.

4. Need to figure what to do for the computer store section. What ecommerce solution to use.. or just to do a site that I maintain for the products, I was just going to maintain a small series of systems for purchase and config (you know home, gamer, workstation, server) and some laptops accessories and offlease workstations/thinkpads.

5. Need to clean up the css files and js files when I am done and make the site match the w3c standards.

6. Optimize all images, I have already done some work, and probably will redo it before launch, I also was able to enable gz support on the lamp servers apache config to really do alot in reducing the overall size of js/css/html files.

7. Need to do the tests in all major browsers and make sure it works with IE6-IE8 and Firefox 3+

Anyway if anyone wants to give advice or do mockups on how to make the homepage stand out that would be amazing. Also any critic on the site let me know.

Sincerely;

Travis.

dualboy24

Anyone? I have spent months on this, getting depressing not having any input :S, read alot of wd posts on reddit and general google queries, but I am not overall happy with the intro page design and such.

Any mockups or input would be helpful, I find its too cartonish feeling no?

I hope to hear some replies please.

liydjw3

Hey welcome to the forum dualboy. I'm sorry no one else has posted back with their suggestions. Don't panic though, with website reviews usually people only post if they have something negative to say.

I like the layout of the site very much. I understand what your saying about the 'cartoonish' feel, try experimenting with different colors, because it is usually colors which give something a cartoon sort of feel. Obviously you need actually finish the site and may be then you will get more feedback. For me the 'visit for more information' looks slightly out of place, almost too far to the left. This of corse is just my opinion. Keep on making tweaks and work on SEO :)

Good job

LIYD

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Db,
Its a good first start and I don't see the "cartoonish" look. I think the color theme is fine. The site does need a few tweaks though.

Reduce the font size for the sliding info section (titles, body copy, and text next to icons). It is too large.

Always remember padding (breathing space) is important for readability. For example the three columns at the bottom...the text is almost flush with the outer edge. Give them more room to breath, so that they are visually more separated. Same goes for the more info list at the top right. You have a lot of space there but the list items are pushed right up to the left edge.

The blue tones don't match (compliment). The background blue is more subtle, desaturated. While the upper navbar and footer are a more rich saturated blue.

ishie

Nice work! But could've been better. Font selection isn't appealing at all, even the color combination of blue and orange. Did you make everything from scratch?

bret

Hi,

What strikes me is that the colors are just off a bit... Play around with softer contrast, more of that peach color and less of the grey/whitish backgrounds.

Good luck,