newbie - creating a website

bluryder79

I know little to none when it comes to html and www. I am a business man, entrepreneur, good with numbers and stats, and can write well.

I want to start a web-site (eventually profitable), which has a sports theme. I plan to blog, have power rankings, set up online pools - so that i may organize stats, give my two cents on who will win the upcoming games and why, forum, etc.

I'm thinking I need a WYSIWYG editor which will allow me to manipulate stats (ie, excel) and write (ie, word) and perhaps colours, images, etc. once I've learned the basics. I'd like a free editor if possible.

If I were to turn a profit, do I need to pay the editor I use? If I'm not satisfied with the editor, is it easily transferrable to another editor in the future? - I imagine making the right choices at the beginning will be crucial in the future - I'm going in quite naive.....essentially, I'm not sure where to start.

If anyone could offer me some advice as to what I should be looking for, that would be much appreciated.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's going to depend on how long you're willing to go before this site is up and running. If you don't mind pushing it a few years to make sure you do it right, spend the time learning HTML and CSS. A great place to start is http://www.w3schools.com

If you're looking more in the short term, it would probably be better to just hire someone. I realize that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but if you want it to succeed, you'll want to do it right. WYSIWYG editors are notorious for spitting out crappy code, code that search engines gloss over.

But, to answer your question straight up, try these:

Konquerer is a good, free WYSIWYG editor.

What you're wanting to do would best be accomplished through a CMS, like Wordpress, or Joomla.

Last edited:

Quasha

I think you may not have many time to learn HTML and CSS now if you want to start up your business now. To deploy your blog you may hire some experts from any freelancer site. With some money and your great leading you may build up what you want. In the mean time you learn the basic to judge the work value. Thus you may build a profitable wordpress or joomla site you want. Just strict on your keyword, do a lot of research on your competitor and make a good simple and valuable site from which you can gain lots of profit

mrandrei

Since you're a newbie, I would suggest you start with Wordpress. Its platform is easy to learn and maintain. You'll be able to get the hang of it in a short period of time. HTML and CSS can be a bit complicated for you.

Pheno

Given that you want a blog, I would also suggest Wordpress as the simplest way to get going. That said, it will take you dozens of hours to get it working, and you could get it set up professionally for around $300 so it does depend somewhat on how much you value your time.

bluryder79

could I conceivably, simply, create my website on notepad, with word tools, and excel pages - then perhaps pay someone to essentially turn it in to a web-site once I'm ready to launch?

However, I would need to update it frequently, so surely I'd need to understand a little html. However, could it not be a matter of the code already set up in place assuming I'd be updating "identical structure" or adding to the already "pre-existing structure"? - in that, developing my own updating system where by I would essentially add text, articles, manipulate stats (without messing around with code - just plugging in).

I'm finding the even simplest web editors very difficult to use.

Thanks for all of your responses.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
To do this effectively, you'll really need to go with some sort of CMS that uses a database. Joomla may even have a plugin for sports stats.

krymson

yeah your best bet ywould to be to go with like word press, to me its more user friendly than Joomla and they have an app for your phone that you can add posts and stuff so its nice, its what i use

wulaishiwo

try wordpress. I am using it right now. you can achieve the functions you want, as poll you mentioned, by installing all kinds of plugins. Also, you can build multisites through it.