Newbie – need directions

buzytee

I’m a novice to web design. I know it can help me bring interest and possible sales to my photography business. I need to design something that I can display my photos, but it needs to be secure enough so there wouldn’t be any copyright infringement. I want to make the web site simple and later on build on it. I’m willing to do the work myself. I need help with picking a software I can use, a web host to use, and any foreseen problems I would come across.

conor

if you own all the photographs then there shouldn't be any copyright issues.

if your really intrested in webdesign then for software i recomend notepad or Eclipse. But if you just want it for this site and have no real interest then I recomend adobe dreamweaver.

As for hosting. I find blacknight (http://www.blacknight.com) to be very easy to use, very cheap and if you ever have a problem you can just email them.

adamblan

hi buzytee
I know what you mean about the copyright infringement- unfortunately there really isn't a way to prevent people from saving the images you present on your site - your best option is to watermark your images.
There are several php scripts out there that can do this dynamically using GD or Image Magick - try searching "dynamic watermark"
For hosting, I use inmotionhosting and would recommend them (I've used several other hosting companies)
Problems you could come across: bunches. Just make sure to follow best practices (separate content from css & scripts) & validate your code

hth-Adam

kangomedia

hi buzytee,

i would have to agree with adamblan. there really is no surefire way for you to protect your copyrighted images. if someone really wants to use them...they will find a way to use them.

your job would mainly be to make it as difficult as possible for someone to use them.

one option is the watermark (as already mentioned). of course, the determined individual could find a way to photoshop it out.

another option would be to disable 'right-click' on your website. that means that the visitor wouldn't be able to simply cut and paste. i found an article for you at this website: http://www.hypergurl.com/norightclick.html .

again...if the person is determined they can still find a way to use them. there is no way to completely safeguard them except for leaving them offline.

hope that helps.

freddy rodriguez

Zombie

hi buzytee,

i would have to agree with adamblan. there really is no surefire way for you to protect your copyrighted images. if someone really wants to use them...they will find a way to use them.

your job would mainly be to make it as difficult as possible for someone to use them.

one option is the watermark (as already mentioned). of course, the determined individual could find a way to photoshop it out.

another option would be to disable 'right-click' on your website. that means that the visitor wouldn't be able to simply cut and paste. i found an article for you at this website: http://www.hypergurl.com/norightclick.html .

again...if the person is determined they can still find a way to use them. there is no way to completely safeguard them except for leaving them offline.

hope that helps.

freddy rodriguez

Disabling right click would be a terrible way to do this, I would recommend using a watermark in combination with flash, display your photos in only a flash application, or gallery, along with them being watermarked is the most secure way