newb web designer needs help setting up 'client area'

wizzpig666

hi

I am quite new to web design, and am busy ploughing through the lynda.com dreamweaver tutorials, but am wondering if someone might be able to assist or point to a tutorial which might help me with my problem

I would like to set up a 'client area' on my website, where a client can log in with a username already assigned by me, enter a password, assigned by me, and then be directed to a page where they can view drafts uploaded by me and leave comments.

I can handle the comments field, but the whole user login and redirect is currently beyond me, and would like to get it set up as soon as i can.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

sheanhoxie

look at something like Joomla. You can setup articles that are only viewable by certain users. Its a bit difficult to grasp at first go, but its easy to setup if you know how to create a mysql db and the site has a lot of help on their forums to get you started.

check my site http://www.nesianclothing.com/web, this site is using Joomla and has articles that are not viewable to the public, but once logged in the client can see availble "hidden" articles

wizzpig666

look at something like Joomla. You can setup articles that are only viewable by certain users. Its a bit difficult to grasp at first go, but its easy to setup if you know how to create a mysql db and the site has a lot of help on their forums to get you started.

check my site http://www.nesianclothing.com/web, this site is using Joomla and has articles that are not viewable to the public, but once logged in the client can see availble "hidden" articles

Thanks a stack ! :D

anthony.alaan

Joomla seems like the new CMS that everyone is using. My brother does professional websites for a living and his team is using Joomla to build some sites now. It would work for you because as sheanhoxie said you can use a log in system and it will give access to specific users based on what the administrator sets. He wanted me to do some data entry for the site and he gave me a log in and I had access to the site before it is launched. It is still under construction but it would be perfect for you. You can create amazing pages that don't even look like they run on a CMS. Check out my bros site that he is working on. It is Joomla run.

8wawwk.jpg

RAJO

look at something like wordpress. You can setup articles that are only viewable by certain users. Its a bit difficult to grasp at first go, but its easy to setup if you know how to create a mysql db and the site has a lot of help on their forums to get you started.

check my blog http://blog.yoursfree.biz/ , this site is using wordpress and has articles that are not viewable to the public, but once logged in the client can see availble "hidden" articles

wizzpig666

Joomla seems like the new CMS that everyone is using. My brother does professional websites for a living and his team is using Joomla to build some sites now. It would work for you because as sheanhoxie said you can use a log in system and it will give access to specific users based on what the administrator sets. He wanted me to do some data entry for the site and he gave me a log in and I had access to the site before it is launched. It is still under construction but it would be perfect for you. You can create amazing pages that don't even look like they run on a CMS. Check out my bros site that he is working on. It is Joomla run.

8wawwk.jpg

Sorry I didnt notice your reply,didnt figure anyone would add to the thread after the first reply. Thanks very much for the info :D

wizzpig666

look at something like wordpress. You can setup articles that are only viewable by certain users. Its a bit difficult to grasp at first go, but its easy to setup if you know how to create a mysql db and the site has a lot of help on their forums to get you started.

check my blog http://blog.yoursfree.biz/ , this site is using wordpress and has articles that are not viewable to the public, but once logged in the client can see availble "hidden" articles

again, sorry for not responding, was expecting dead thread, thanks very much for your help, still seems like a bit of a daunting task considering the amount of water still dripping from behind my ears, but nice to know where I can start tackling this

:D

sheanhoxie

Is it me or did RAJO just copy my posting word for word and replace with his/her own link?? lol, I think thats the first time my "original work" has been copied! ;-)