New webdesign

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a pretty cool design, but I gotta say: it gives me a headache.

Also, can I make a few suggestions for the resume? I have a lot of experience in this sort of writing (technical, essentially). I realize you may not have written it, but maybe you could pass it on...

1. The information needs to be easy to digest. If I'm looking at this resume, I'm going to read the bold. The rest is just a blur of paragraphs.
- Convey action by using the active voice. I.e., instead of, "Responsible for the development, deployment, delivery and support of a cable TV system...", try, "Developed, deployed, delivered and supported SPECIFIC cable TV system..."
2. Specificity: Consider this line: "Responsible for the development of an echo canceler for use in the telecommunications toll network using advanced processing techniques to achieve 50-100% improvement in performance compared the state of the art."
- Whose echo canceler? Whose network? What was the level of the "state of the art".

Hopefully that'll prove useful to someone, even if not you.

notarypublic

you have rounded images for your links, set inside a rectangular content area. I'm not sure which I would recommend to change, but the overall feel of the site will be a bit more harmonious if they were the same.

Also, changing the line height/character spacing might help a bit as well - there is a lot of text content and it is hard to read in big blocks like that.

Best of luck,

DHDdirect

I'd suggest setting up an email address that is specific to your domain name instead of using your verizon account.

The reason behind it is that it looks less professional by saying your business hasn't been in operation long enough to get it's own email or is too small to handle a big project.

This is my opinion and others on this forum may not feel the same about it.

omglookitsagoat

Thanks for your suggestions. I want to eventually add a favicon to the website. When I do that, I'll need to update it again and then maybe I can use some of the suggestions you give to add some more improvements since I'm going to eventually update it again anyway.

Does anyone know how to make a rounded rectangle for the content instead of a sharp-edged one? Maybe I should do that to make it match better like what notary public said. Would I use an image for the background to achieve that? Is there some kind of code to use to do that? I guess I'd probably need to start another thread to find answers to all the technical aspects...

rondaldroe:

I'll tell him the advice you gave about the resume. Hopefully it will help him.

also, which parts give you a headache? is it the background? someone else in another forum said the background gave them a headache.

Last edited:

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
The easiest way to add rounded corners (*sigh* doesn't work in IE) is: border-radius:10px;

DHDdirect

IE9 should support border-radius although there will be a small percentage of use out there being it has just been released

omglookitsagoat

I don't think it needs to be the same color as a real PCB as long as you can tell what it is.

Thanks. I'll try the rounded corners and see how that looks.

Last edited:

DHDdirect

Yeah but I think the point they were trying to make is that the color you have choosen is a bit hard on the eyes hence the eye strain which leads to headaches ;-).

krymson

Hi!!

Your site is very interesting, but I think that it is a little bit too simple. I think you should try to use some Flash.

What do you think about mine?

www.rowebstudio.com - we create web sites

The site is perfect, no flash is needed. A non web designer/developer would say "Hey add flash to your site" but if you look at "your" site which i wrote a nice comment on http://www.webdesignforum.com/15097-what-do-you-think-about-my-website.html someone who jacks templates and tries to sell himself as a web designer you would be the ONLY person on this forum that would say "Ruin a beautifully coded SEO friendlysite and add flash to it"...

Noob

Last edited: