New designer HELP!

pearlrus

Hello, I have done print layout and design for a while using mostly Corel but want to get into web design, and I want to do it quickly because I am a teacher as well and summer is here which = no money!

Here are my questions:
I am so overwhelmed with all my options.
I have Dreamweaver already on my computer but I've heard Joomla is really good as well as WordPress. Or I could just use notepad.
I have heard that with WordPress, clients can have more control over their website and make updates often themselves.
WHAT IS THE BEST TO USE?

I have a potential client who is going to want to add pictures and event updates often. If I create a site in DreamWeaver, would I have to do all of the updates?

I really have no one to talk to about this stuff so hopefully this blog will work!

CaldwellYSR

Wordpress and Joomla are CMS's that allow the user's to alter the content of the site. That being said you can't just "create a site" in wordpress. Wordpress is just the engine that makes it all run. To "create" the site you'll need to write the code for it. You could use anything from notepad to a full blown IDE like Dreamweaver but just make sure you're writing the code yourself, not relying on DW's design view.

Personally my favorite editor for writing code is Aptana Studio which I wrote a review for on The "D" Spot.

pearlrus

I have DreamWeaver CS3, does that make a difference because it is not the newest version?
Will I be able to create a site in DreamWeaver that allows the client to do updates him or herself?

CaldwellYSR

I have DreamWeaver CS3, does that make a difference because it is not the newest version?
Will I be able to create a site in DreamWeaver that allows the client to do updates him or herself?

Yes you can create a wordpress or joomla site with dreamweaver. It doesn't really matter that it's not the newest version (although you might be missing some functionality... not a DW user so I don't know). Like I said before, just stay well away from design view and actually write the code. Wordpress templates are pretty simple to make and joomla isn't that hard either.

CaldwellYSR

I don't understand what you're talking about a "fake" website??? That looks like a pretty real website to me. Unless you're talking about the images in which case... wut?!

pearlrus

I am talking about the images.
I want to create some designs to showcase my design work, that look like websites.
Even if it were of an actual website, how do I do that?

pearlrus

Well I told you I am new at this!
Thanks though for real, I know how to take a screenshot on my iphone but never thought about doing it on my mac.
I didn't even know what to type in the search engine to come up with the answer to my question. Screenshot. Duh.
http://take-a-screenshot.org/

Give me a month and my sites will look pro.