New client site...

chris.op

Hi there

I've been set the task of creating a new client site for our company and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or constructive criticism on what I have produced so far.

The address is:

http://www.opinionpanel.co.uk/index12.cfm

I think it only currently works in firefox as I have yet to make any IE fixes.

Thanks.

Last edited:

chris.op

Sorry, here are some of my questions...

1) Is ‘About you’ an unconventional menu heading? It’s a different way of saying ‘your sector’. But is it actually clever or silly? Do you think it works / is meaningful?

2) The arrows coming off the post-it note. Should they be better permanently on or only showing when you roll over it? (I personally prefer permanently on)

3) Font size of the drop down menus. I’d prefer a smaller point size. Any thoughts?

4) Tagline font (“Opinionpanel is the independent market research agency dedicated to understanding students before, during and after their time at university.”) Does it look odd? Any suggestions for making it stand out better? Put it in Verdana. Increase point size? Give it a coloured background? White text on red?

5) Is the login in the right place? If not where do you think it could be placed? How could it be improved? I personally think it looks a bit of a mess.

6) Any better way to present out telephone number and email? I would like it to be very prominent without looking too cheesy.

7) Any other design effects that could ‘lift’ the site?

tatsudoshi65

Sorry, here are some of my questions...

1) Is ‘About you’ an unconventional menu heading? It’s a different way of saying ‘your sector’. But is it actually clever or silly? Do you think it works / is meaningful?

2) The arrows coming off the post-it note. Should they be better permanently on or only showing when you roll over it? (I personally prefer permanently on)

3) Font size of the drop down menus. I’d prefer a smaller point size. Any thoughts?

4) Tagline font (“Opinionpanel is the independent market research agency dedicated to understanding students before, during and after their time at university.”) Does it look odd? Any suggestions for making it stand out better? Put it in Verdana. Increase point size? Give it a coloured background? White text on red?

5) Is the login in the right place? If not where do you think it could be placed? How could it be improved? I personally think it looks a bit of a mess.

6) Any better way to present out telephone number and email? I would like it to be very prominent without looking too cheesy.

7) Any other design effects that could ‘lift’ the site?

1) Personally, I think "About You" is suitable because you have "About Us" as well and they correspond with one another.

2) I think the arrows on the post-it should be permanently displayed. Without them, the boxes below looks lonely and unknown as to what they are there for. Also, I wouldn't know to click on the post-it unless I moused-over... some might not mouse-over.

3) I am partial to smaller fonts myself. However, your font size looks good, I would suggest maybe removing some padding around the text.

4) I like that you carried your colors into the text; IE the red, green and blue for the key words. I don't really like the spacing between lines though...

5) Hmmm, I'm not sure about the login placement.... lol. Try moving it around center, match the width of the bottom copyright box. idk.

6) I think the contact info is good. It's not stuck out and taking up too much space, yet I found it easily and the images are a cute way to present.

7) Maybe put the "Article of The Month" and "Research" columns in their own boxes like that of "Blogroll" and "News" and perhaps different colors. I like colorfulness!

Just play around with things.
It took me weeks to get my layout just the way I liked it.
I probably went through....6 layouts? Gosh...
I'm just soo picky...lol

Good luck with the site!

JayT

Cool looking site. Will the vast majority of your intended audience be using broadband? If so, then OK. If dial up - you're in trouble.

I would take a look at changing the login area to a vertical position and putting it in the right column, This would raise the main column up a little.

chris.op

Hi guys

Thank you all for your comments - we have taken many of your ideas on board. Please can you have a final look and let me know if you have any further recommendations. We are quite happy with what we have got so far, but as were not really designers I am sure we could make some improvements?

The link is now:

http://www.opinionpanel.co.uk/index13.cfm

And one of the sub-pages (about us) is here:

http://www.opinionpanel.co.uk/about-us.cfm

Many thanks,
Chris

jstep

Frontpage looks solid in Safari. I'm really digging the crispness. Very clean. I like the typo too.

The page extends to the right in my browser with a horizontal scroll bar. Not sure why off a quick browse of your css... take a look into that. looks like an element's width was accidentally increased beyond 950px...

yelleyster

Yeah get on the IE and see if you can tweak it a little bit. Doesn't look off or anything but the last thing you wanna do is get so familiar to just doing up firefox that eventually the IE problems catch up with you