Need some advice on handling this runaway project please.

cgl102770

Hi all - I've been doing web design for about 5 years, but as you know, every project is different. A client wanted a website with a contact form with ten fields. Although I was fairly thorough, my mistake was in giving them a quote without getting the details on the referral forms. Then, they gave me the details, and the contact forms are much more complicated than the standard ones I'm used to.
I'm a web designer, and not a programmer. Some of the form questions require fields that can't be created with the web services that help you create forms without writing code. For example, there will be 8 checkboxes, one of them titled "other", which requires a text field next to it for people to type specific info, and one of the 8 checkboxes must be checked, etc, but if "other" is checked, then they must enter text next to it as well.
They also want a field where people can enter their birthday, but don't want people to be able to enter any birthdays in 2009 or 2010. (This is a referral form for a doctors office, and they don't normally accept any very young patients).
It's a pretty complicated form, and I don't know how to handle this client. I admit I should have gotten more details on the project, but I don't know how far my responsibility reaches, as far as paying a programmer to do this out of my own pocket. Does anyone have any suggestions?

leroy30

Use javascript validation. Search for JQuery validation. It's pretty simple really. Just use javascript to get the values of the text / check boxes then run some if statements (if empty then cancel submit)...

Alternatively you could just pay a programmer to do it (*cough*) ;o)

Good luck!

btw what's the best way to get work? I have some base clients but I'm looking for work at the moment and I'm finding website design hard to sell (so many people will do it for practically free)... Just thought I'd ask since you've been in it for 5yrs! (i've only just branched out from my contracting role)

Web1

Wow this little manhole is one I fell down plenty of times, under estimating a project, its a killer lol. Get Leroy to code it up for you for a fee, or try use off the shelf code, hotscripts.com, etc. Google is your friend, your lifesaver !

I am trying anything at mo Leroy, delivering brochures to local businesses, PPC ads, emailling (not mass spamming), making phone calls. Its tough going in this climate.

I saw a guy peddling a bike in Nottingham, pulling a big advertising board. Thinking of something Guerilla ish like that. !! Maybe gonna set up a huge spider web somewhere with my Co. name on it ! Like end of Spiderman 2. Heck anything for some business!