Need Ideas

boyleswebdesign

Hello, I need some ideas and some critisism on my site its boyleswebdesign.com Im a web designer just getting started and need ideas to make things easier for my clients. Thanks Jake

StephanieCordray

Welcome, boyle. Don't be so timid. There is a crtique section just for the purpose of giving ideas and identifying problems with a site. You are allowed to include a link to the site being critiqued, :).

4 things:
I don't like the big Google search above your header. It needs to be smaller and located elsewhere.

The animation doesn't really fit a webdesign site. At first i thought you might be offering hosting as well.

On the bottom there is something but I don't know what it is because it shows an "I'm not authorized to view this" message. If it's something people have to be authorized to see, it needs to be removed from your main page.... well, looking at your source, it looks as if you plan to put google ads on your site. I wouldn't recommend doing that if it is in your plans.

Other than that, a portfolio would be nice. I know you said you are just starting out but you could make some pages to show what you can do and stick them up there at the least.

John84

Couldn't agree more with stephanie's comments.

Aside from the header and flash animation, nothing looks as professional as it should.

Your overall look is not consistent throughout the pages. The google search (which should be removed) is only found on the homepage. Different font, font sizes, and font colors througout the site. Some are left aligned while others are centered. Too much white space; products page has tonnes of white space along the bottom.

Didyou make this from a template by any chance?

anoosh

You may want to create more content. Things suchas white papers, case studies would help as potential customers can relate to what your services can do for them.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I recognise the flash image from a templatemonster web hosting template.
I agree with Stephanie, looks more like a web hosting site than a web design site. I would get rid of the scrolling text towards the bottom of the homepage. Also the text font on some of the sub pages looks too large.

boyleswebdesign

Do you think thats good for a 15 year old thats never had a class?? Also heres a site I did for a client, its intellisell.tripod.com he hasnt paid for a host yet so its hosted on tripod.

boyleswebdesign

Ya I used a template on my site, so that I could get done a little quicker, and all have to see if that is really his host, thanks for the help.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
moved to web site reviews forum.

i can understand you wanting to be done a little quicker, but it might not make the best impression on potential clients if you use a template that serveral other sites across the web are also using. keep in mind the world of web design is very competitive.

sogj

Did you take that from templatemonster.com? I saw a site on there a week ago that looked remarkably like yours. if you are a debt consolidation company, feel free to use a template. but I (personally) would never buy a website design from someone who hadn't even done his own website. Take the time to make yours really really cool; remember, your website is going to be your biggest ad. (I would never ask a vegetarian where the best steakhouse in town was and I would never use a website designer whose website either sucked or wasn't his.) Your website is your chance to really shine, to show your clients what you're made of! You can't skimp on a template.

Also, the intellisell site looked exactly like another template I saw on templatemonster.com. If you are indeed only using templates, you could get into major trouble for claiming they are your own design. Just changing the words and stuff don't make them yours. If you are selling customers basically customized templates that you bought on templatemonster.com and then are just changing a little, I would stop. It's illegal, and a fifteen year old doesn't need a law suit.

:) Good luck.

Last edited:

nman14

1. stay away from templates
2. do not put prices on your site
3. charge people more or you will never make it
4. get a 1800# or no one will trust you

I was quoted $10,000 on panecta.com there is an idea of what you shoulod charge...(not $45)