Need help

Fancy Shoes

Well I have been failing for a couple months on building my website. I really do not have the cash to hire someone for the job, and I need to get the website up and going to get some cash.

Well, I need a better way to learn webdesign. Can any of you let me know if there are some good text books that will take me through the process so that I know what everything does and why it works that way, instead of me trying to learn off of youtube tutorials. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again
Brandon.

chrishirst

Staff member
youtube tutorials.
Yeah, right, like most of those are going to help!!!!!!!

Well, I need a better way to learn webdesign.
There are books that you can learn the technicalities of DEVELOPING a HTML document using HTML and CSS, but to DESIGN you have to start with some artistic ability.

Fancy Shoes

Yeah, right, like most of those are going to help!!!!!!!

There are books that you can learn the technicalities of DEVELOPING a HTML document using HTML and CSS, but to DESIGN you have to start with some artistic ability.

Well, I Have the stuff I want already done in photoshop. I just need to learn web design. (CSS..ect)

I have dreamweaver, so I have been using that. I just really need to learn how to program.

I have learned Visual Basic and Ladder logic a few years ago, So I know I a capable to learn this also.

I am sure all you professionals hate people like me that come on here begging for help, but I really need the help. I am $80,000 in debt with student loans. I really need this website up and running for when I start to advertise I have a website for people to look into me. and also for when people would use a search engine, that I have a better chance at getting some work.

I apologize for the inconvenience .

Thanks again.

Brandon

Fancy Shoes

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
it not that we hate you for "asking for help"
but ambiguity and I want this done yesterday attitudes don't help.

if you're wanting a website as a "web designer" yet you don't know how to actually make a website, then that's cheating a bit don't you think?

If you aren't a web designer (aspiring or otherwise) just use one of those horrible spit em out template thingies. they wont be checking you out for your coding prowess.

but if they are, then you have to do the time boy. simple as that.
there's no golden bullet to get you to the top. just hard yards and persistence.

Fancy Shoes

I would use a template, however I have a more custom Idea for my website which requires me to know web design.

I dont have a want it done yesterday attitude, I just have a I want to get it done and have a nice website attitude so I can go on to other projects that I have to finish.

Edge

Online - W3c Schools is OK, Treehouse is supposed to be good but I've never used it but I'd guess it would be better than Youtube.
Books wise, been a while since I opened a book which didn't start off with a murder in a Nordic country but way back in the day 'bullet proof web design' wasn't bad - maybe its been updated. I also like Steve Krug's 'Don't make me think' to keep you on the straight and narrow regarding web usability.

Edge

Also if you have any questions post the html and css or rather just a link to the site.

chrishirst

Staff member
I just need to learn web design. (CSS..ect)
No you need to learn development, your design is done (the picture) The two need different skill sets, and while a designer can learn HTML and CSS (or rely on 'slicing' tools) a good HTML developer is probably going to make a mediocre designer at best, ben there, tried it. I'll happily take a high quality res picture and make a layout/template of it. No idea how or why but the pieces just seem to "drop into place" in my head and I can 'visualise' the code that goes with it, but I cannot, no matter how I try, come up with the picture in the first place. That is, unless you want one that looks like a Windows 8 start up screen.

I'll throw in another vote for "Don't make me think"

I have dreamweaver, so I have been using that. I just really need to learn how to program.
Nope you need the HTML BEFORE you can write the code that creates the HTML, and Dreamweaver is the SECOND worst 'tool' to learn in or for. The first is anything by Microsoft that isn't Notepad.

I have learned Visual Basic and Ladder logic a few years ago, So I know I a capable to learn this also.
Now I thought that WAY back in 1994 ish. Give me a process and I would write a PLC ladder diagram and the Visual Basic only helped with ASP coding, albeit that applying a little ladder logic "top down design" thinking did come in handy when figuring out the 'normal flow' and how floating and positioning are essentially 'jumps' and 'subroutines'.

leroy30

The best book is Google!

But I'm with Phreadee on this one. Buy a template.

You could try something like templatemonster, shopify, weebly, wix, etc.

By the way; would you care to elaborate what your site is all about? Can you show us the artwork? If people better understand your requirement then they may be petter positioned to offer advice of the path you should take :)

Cheers,
Le-roy

Fancy Shoes

Scottabedoneright.com is my website. I have a picture up of what I would like it to look like, however I have made some changes to the layout, and color changes of the Logo.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
so essentially 4 sections i.e

header would include the h1, h2 and the telephone number
nav would include the menu (as ul)
article would include the main content of the article.
footer would include the footer links (as ul)
in a wrapper if you desire.

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<title>page title goes here...</title>
<link href="css/styles.css" rel="stylesheet">
</head>
<body>
<div id="wrapper">
<header>
<h1>Header 1</h1>
<h2>Header 2</h2>
<a href="tel:123 456 789">123 456 789</a>
</header>
<nav>
<ul>
<li><a href="#">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Heating</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Cooling</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Electrical</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Products</a></li>
</ul>
</nav>
<article>
<!-- page content goes here -->
</article>
<footer>
<ul>
<li><a href="#">Heating</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Cooling</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Electrical</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Products</a></li>
</ul>
</footer>
</div>
</body>
</html>
do all your styles in css.

you will inadvertently run into issues with crappy old browsers, but first get it looking right, then deal with IE.