Need help with database solution!

sebbehebbe

Hi everyone!

I'm an amateur web designer who makes simple websites for local people and friends here in Sweden.
Most of my clients has small demands and usualy just want a webpage for them to display their personal pictures and so on.

But now I've got a problem, a recent client who wants to me to make a link site, where she places advertisment and links for companies. Sounds simple enough I thought but she wants me to make a system for her that allows her to easy add and configure links, add new categories, add news to the start page.

Now I'm thinking XML, but I have absolutly no experience in anything other than basic html and asp.net!

All I'm wondering is that do you guys know of any guide out there or maybe you can offer some suggestions. Because I feel real lost in this thick jungel of databases and such.

Help is very much appreciated!

//Sebastian Nilsson

jnjc

Don't re-invent the wheel, use one of the free CMS systems, by the sounds of things it should do what you need. I am no expert on them, but Wordpress or Joomla wouldn't be a bad place to start.

HTH,
JC

joe

I'd say re-invent the wheel....that's the only way you get better. I'm kind of surprised you have knowledge on .NET, but not any ADO. A good place to start would be w3schools. They have some good start up tutorials, then use what you know to build what you need. Doesn't sound like too big of a project once you get the knowledge. Just create a table that houses all your info and then bring that dynamically into her webpage and build a specific page that allows her to add and update the rows. Read up on some SQL while you're reading up on ADO.