Need help learning basics

joesamson145

Hi Everyone,

Over the years I have worked on different aspects of web design but neglected my graphic design skills...

Any recommended resource where I could learn?

Something classic like colors, lines, shapes ect...

I don't know where to start!

Before I can learn to create eye candy and web 2.0 graphics I would like to learn the basics.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruno

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think there is only a certain amount GD that can be "taught". Yes color theory is one of them, but using lines and shapes and so on....that's a little tough. Sure you can get advice from people but a lot of it is from trial and error--experience in what works and doesn't work.

As far as places to learn color theory (history, complementary colors, tints/shades, warm/cold, etc.)....you could start by reading this wiki entry:
Color Theory

My best advice is just jump in there, start creating some logo, ad, website designs and then request some feedback from us.

Good luck!

Last edited:

joesamson145

Will give it a shot

Thanks Pixel Pusher,

I'll check out the color theory.

I really need to get my act together because my SEO efforts are just paying off too well...I have top placement in my industry but my conversion ratio is atrocious..

For example if you search "Webmaster Canada" or "Joomla Expert Canada" I'm #1 on Google....

This is pretty serious placement on very competitive terms...good traffic also, I wonder how much money I'm loosing because of my Mickey Mouse graphic skills on the site...;(

Cheers!

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your welcome and that is awesome that you are having great success in SEO. Natural search is a tough battle!

Thanks Pixel Pusher,

I'll check out the color theory.

I really need to get my act together because my SEO efforts are just paying off too well...I have top placement in my industry but my conversion ratio is atrocious..

For example if you search "Webmaster Canada" or "Joomla Expert Canada" I'm #1 on Google....

This is pretty serious placement on very competitive terms...good traffic also, I wonder how much money I'm loosing because of my Mickey Mouse graphic skills on the site...;(

Cheers!

nedo

You can also look up for some tutorials on youtube. There are tons of them, very practical, and easy to learn.