Need basic CMS advice

BBSC

Hi,

I'm a graphic designer by profession, but I'm trying to get into web-design. I'm currently setting up a family friends business's website and I could use some help.

I'm essentially at square one. I've had some experience with HTML and CSS but I'm still learning. My question is concerning Content Management Systems.

The website is going to be a web-presence. A few pages that explain the business, it's offerings, company and parter biographies, news and contact information.

The only real wrench is that they want to "be in a position where 'we' can make simple changes to the site if needed".... I'll need to figure out exactly what that means. But can anybody get me started on some basic CMS offerings I could create for them to edit basic parts of the site? It might just be a "news" feed, or something a long those lines.

The easier for them, and me the better. I don't even know where to begin to figure this out. Since I haven't created the site, I just want to build a site keeping this in mind. Does that mean maybe I build the site on wordpress... I don't know.

Any help would be great. Thank you!

Gurther

Wordpress is known for its simplicity with a huge user base to give support.

Also I recommend reading the PHP and MYSQL book for dummies or similar.

Some acronyms you should know about: PHP, SQL and XML

Wordpress is definitely the easiest with all the modules you can add, you can do a lot without knowing much, its what its known for.

rtsand

I agree with CaldwellYSR's suggestion to use Wordpress. In my experience it is much easier to learn than Joomla and Drupal, which are really the only other free CMS's to consider.

Wordpress has some pre-defined roles that you can use to restrict the privileges of users. For example, a user that has the Author role can create new posts and edit posts that they own, and a user with the Editor role can edit all posts and pages.

Although Wordpress is very popular for personal blogs, it really is flexible enough for many other types of websites. There are tons of free themes that you can start with, and as you learn more about how themes work you can eventually create your own.

reynoldsdigital

Wordpress is your best bet, there are CMS like CMS made simple, Joomla and Drupal but Wordpress is by far the most widely used and supported and easy to use.

MarkR

An important point to make is that WordPress is not only easy to use but it's fairly easy to integrate. This is essential if you've never done anything like this before.