need advice

lindsaynichole

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've recently taken an interest in web design, I've been an art major for the last two years and I'd like to transfer to a four year college as new media major. I'm just getting comfortable with css and html, but I feel like I'm struggling to translate my artistic taste from graphic design and fine art to web design. It takes a lot of self control to not be overly artsy, and the designs I've been making for practice seem almost more like they're for print. can anyone help me by looking at this practice page and telling me what rules of thumb I can keep in mind to make sure my designs come out looking like they're for the web, not for a poster (or worse a power point project:eek:).

here's my practice page, it may not be as nice as a lot of the great ones other people have posted, but be nice. lol.

the box of writing at the bottom right is my resume, the page is meant to scroll down.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61206950@N03/5574388999/in/photostream/lightbox/

thanks to all :)

notarypublic

I honestly don't think that you'll have much to worry about. There are definitely things to keep in mind when it comes to designing for the web, but otherwise it's not a bad thing to push the envelope.

And honestly, what impresses your clients matters most; even if we salty old web designers scoff. :D It's the clients that write out your checks.

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
that looks good.

remember all your GD basics still apply to web design.
typography/colour/grids/layout etc.

try to make your design work as much as possible within the viewport (ie dont make people scroll unless they really have to - make all your important info, call to action, branding and navigation sit in the top half. for 1024x768 resolution your looking at about 960x550 or thereabouts.

omglookitsagoat

not bad. Maybe you shouldn't make the space above the header too big. If it's too big/tall, it might push some of your design below the fold.