Need advice on website design software for small project

ODog

Hello, I am designing a website for a small charity that needs a proffessional looking but modest website. I work there and have taken this on as I designed the last one as part of my job there and I have enough IT experience to be competant to improve on the one I designed previously.

Anyway though I want to make sure it has a few features that it is not clear several web design packages offer, I was looking primarily at Xara most recently out of some reccomendation but it seemed lacking in this area as far as I could ascertain.

I want two things

1 - To be able to password protect certain pages from the rest of the site, I saw rudimentary scripts were around to achieve this so less worried about this, but dunno if any software makes this easy

2 - To be able to update a blog-style thing on the site on the site if this is possible, I won't neccessarily be around to update the site all the time and the current website needs to be reuploaded whenever there's a change. I'd rather be able to have the ability to log in and update on the site like a blog...dunno if this is extremely difficult but haven't found any software reassuring me as a feature.

I may just say it's too hard to achieve so build in a link to a free blogging service but this would be less than ideal, or try some softwere that the uploading is very easy, but again the people doing it may be less than literate in these things.

I'd rather prefer to avoid buying Dreamweaver, or any software that is incredibly in depth, the scale of the site and who it will be used by is extremely modest, there is no need for fancy graphics or many widgets etc. It would be helpful if it was reasonably intuitive but will muddle through otherwise. I'm also not able to afford anything too huge.

Any help appreciated.

chrishirst

Staff member
Design in GIMP (Free raster/bitmap editor) or Inkscape (free vector/svg editor) then develop the layout into HTML with NVU (Free), Amaya (free) or Kompozer (free)

1: Server-side code needed for that.

2: Use a CMS system which will provide both 1: and 2: