Need advice on laptops...

Islander250

Hey guys, so I want to invest in a new computer that I'll be using for web design and I have a few questions....

1. What's better in performance and reliability, a Mac or a windows based laptop? I know this is a highly depated topic, however I want to hear it from a web designers point of view.

2. If I buy a windows based laptop, what brand is recommended most often?

3. What are the basic requirements needed for the laptop to comfortably run multiple programs and not suffer from slowdown or other problems? (ram, hard drive space, video card, screen size etc)

Initially I thought I would be buying a MacBook Pro 15", but I have come to the realization that I can buy a windows based laptop for half the price, and with the same specs and power. If Mac is really THAT much better than other laptops though, then I could more comfortablly bite the bullet and invest in one.
The laptop I'd be investing in would be used for Pro Tools too, so I'm looking for something that can run that as well. I figure if it can run Pro Tools, it can definately run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.

Thanks!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, protools throws a spanner in the works.
from my experience.
web and graphic design is best on a mac.
audio is best on a PC.

hacker15

I'm currently using a horrible Toshiba laptop (satellite c655d-s5300) for web design, and it runs smoothly. So the main issue is convenience, and from experience I'd say your best bet would be to invest in a desktop running multiple (2 works fine) monitors. I can complete a site on my desktop in well over half the time, but the n again it's running on the Intel i7 2600, 8gb corsair vengeance ram (1600mhz ddr3), an and a ati/xfx 5770 video card. In my opinion, if you plan on dealing with both extreme graphics as well as multitasking, go with an I7 (made for multitasking) and ati video card (best for graphics).
Hope I helped! :)

ValiantShady

My laptop is HP Dev6 2155ee , it has been doing perfectly running most of my very high graphics games in addition to handling all my work..

I guess it is not laptops dependant unless you're designing graphics that are mostly for HOLLYWOOD movies or something .. else than that I can't find it a matter of worries

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I know mac's are more than twice the price, have less software available for use on them, but I have a macbook pro and I like it so much, I would never consider buying any other laptop.

Fireproofgfx

Its nice to see an Admin on this forum!!

All I can say is my friend who thought Mac's were better than virus riddled windows, comes to me when he can't do certain things on his newly high priced Mac. I just laugh.