My website

leflis

Hello everyone. I am new here and looking to get advice on building a web design/development business. Please review my website and give some feedback. The site is on my schools server and I'm looking to move it to godaddy.com or hostgator.. along with a real domain name. Thanks!

http://leflis.aisites.com

krymson

its ok. I dont see a point for the rollovers, just a waste of space and not needed. You need MORE content cause if you're going to the art institute there in Pittsburgh, then your "professors" there arent telling you that from an SEO point of view content is king. As a web developer you are going to have to know that and they just dont teach that to you. They show you how to code and make a site look nice but nothing else really. You have no meta or alt tags if you're going to sell yourself as a web designer/developer you're going to have to learn SEO unless thats the last lesson of the session. The images on your contact page could use some cleaning upand there really is no point to the "ripped" piece of notebook paper as the background it kind of throws everything off on that page.

All in all good start, start learning stuff on your own though. Yeah a degree looks nice but its no substitute for experience and years of trial and error. Trust me i tried to do that and basically most people for get what they learn after taking the test. Like i said you're heading in the right direction these are just my thoughts and opinions.Work on SEO live it, love it, learn it. In the end it will be your bread and butter.

leflis

krymson, Good advice and thanks for the critique. yes I just graduated from AIP and they didn't teach us about SEO, meta tags and such. At least the program I was in they didn't. I only have a certificate or diploma in web so I think its a good start. I hope to build more sites by word of mouth. I thought that if I register a domain and find a hosting site that would take care of the SEO part..I could be wrong.. again more research on my part. Thanks again.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
agreed on the notepaper. unnecessary and doesn't really work with the rest of the design.

as you mention you've been doing GD for 20 years or so, I would draw on your exp. with page layout and consider that in relation to your site. for instance it is quite frustrating to have to scroll down to see your content, even just a few paragraphs, because your background image (the lights) is taking up so much space, and your margin to the top is substantial.

in the end a website is just another advertisement, so the same rules there apply here. you simply cannot expect people to scroll for your important content, it must be visible in the viewport straight up.

if you have experience in advertising / marketing then you'll be able to pursue more traditional methods along with your word of mouth and be reasonably successful in your local area, but you simply must learn at least the basics of SEO, and semantic markup, to ever expand beyond that.

unfortunately its not as simple as just having good hosting, although leaving the bad ones alone certainly wont harm your efforts. you need reliability over price, always - you ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I found this in your code
<!-- Save for Web Slices (homepage.psd) -->
tsk tsk!

exporting all slices from photoshop is a bad habit to get into. It makes you become lazy at coding, more reliant on imagery and less on css, and isn't very flexible to future changes. learn as much css for design as you can and leave that button alone!

overall not a bad start, remember the majority of internet users are NOT on an iMAC so its best not to design something that looks great only on that!
remember IE sucks always, so it needs to be checked. as does FF, Safari, Opera, Chrome and Konqueror at the very least. and at multiple resolutions 1024x768, 1440x900, etc etc.

go with your design gut for the page layout...thats all i've got to say.

krymson

remember the majority of internet users are NOT on an iMAC so its best not to design something that looks great only on that!

Lol yes it does look good on an imac, cause of course thats what i use but yes, you need to look at cross browser compatibility and different screen resolutions. To elaborate on my content is king speech, youcan have all the content you want but you gotta make sure its visable and straight up for the end user to view. unfortunately you have to assume that 100% of your website viewers are retards and put the most important information right in front of their face so they dont have to scroll down to find out whats going on because if they have to scroll 95% of the time you've just lost a potential client. That's why on my website i use it more like a blog. all my latest information is right there, if i come out with a deal its right there, i dont have alot of things taking up space on the top of my site so my content is pushed up.

leflis

Thanks again guys on the feedback. Well I'm basically using Dreamweaver and yes I am always torn to do the psd to html slices and depending on the design I try to figure out which would be more time consuming. (Straight coding CSS or psd to html). Im thinking of a slight redesign. I know the top space is dead and need to do something.. but I was trying for something different instead of the straight header, body, footer look. I know the lightbox feature doesnt work in IE, so I just kinda put that of as far as figuring out a hack. Thanks again.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
depending on the design I try to figure out which would be more time consuming.

this is the sort of attitude you cannot have.
psd to html will ALWAYS give you headaches. it is not the way to do it. its like driving a car with the hand brake on, it works but in the end it will fcuk it!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
please please please for your own sake, and your future in the industry, you need to not do that. next you'll be telling me you use tables for layout!!!

leflis

I was viewing this on a mac with IE and I don't know what version it was but the lightbox didn't seem to work.. not sure but if you say it works then, awesome. Also I didn't know psd to html was so frowned upon here. This is what I was shown in school anyway. one of the lessons were taking a fireworks file and converting to html. And yes it creates tables.. but we were shown how to transform the tables to css..sometimes it was kind of a task. But I will keep in mind that this is not good coding practice.. thanks.

cobraart

NOOOO.....Without SEO, you might as well forget the website. That's like fishing in the middle of the ocean with the slightest clue on fishing. Successful websites implement 3 important features. User Interface Design, Design, SEO. You should read an article that i wrote on the first 2 features..."http://www.squidoo.com/website-design-mistake"

That still doesn't include SEO. There is as much to know about SEO as their is with design and coding...This forum has a search engine optimization and marketing section that should get you started...

Keep your head up and good luck

Last edited:

Atius

the design is nice but as cobraart said without SEO u are as good as dead, beside that a nice feature for your site would be to implement facebook and twitter share on all of the pages with a nofollow rel on the link. Good luck m8 :)