My Site idea (is it possible)

Knockoutkent

I am considering making a blog using the Apache Roller software or other blogware.

My plan is the offer a site for online debating. While brainstorming, the idea of using blogware hit me. My plan is to create a site that I can update daily with new newsworthy/debatable topics. What I want to know is whether or not it is possible to allow viewers to do either one of two things: (1) Instantly post a reply or comment about the subject of debate w/o an account or (2) Create an account (painlessly and hopefully quickly) and post their opinions.

If either of those two are possible then I have a third question:

Would it be possible to create two "side-by-side" comment areas directly under the article? I would love to have a layout where my post would be on top and all comments were below on the left for one side of the debate and below on the right side for the other. The finished product (drawn crudely) would look like the attached picture that I just doodled in paint. If you could please give me your opinion or advice on whether or not some type of blog softare (and which one) can handle this setup, it would be greatly appreciated.

basicsitelayoutly4.jpg

Thanks
Kent

ps. - do you think that this site idea could be successful. i have been trying to think up a site idea that I could create and enjoy working on?

jnjc

The potential problem with this layout is flow through the article.

Left side person A posts a point to agree

right site three people post general points to disagree and then person B posts a specific disagreement with person A's point how are they matched up ? It could get confusing/difficult to maintain context of each post.

What you might be better doing is have it linear but with the ability to nest posts. Then color code them depending on agree/disagree :

Question .............

• Agree because of
    • Yea but I disagree with you because
      • I understand what you are saying but...
  • I disagree because
  • And another point...
  • Look at it this way

Foresight

You could probably still have the division,
New points would be posted applying to the topics,
and have replies as sub-posts