My printed portfolio: include project description?

irishlass25

Hello! I am assembling my first printed portfolio. I cannot decide whether or not I should paste in a small description/project name to go along with each layout? For instance, if I show two spreads of a magazine, do I absolutely need a title and description of the project?

Since I will always be right there with the portfolio, to "walk/talk the viewer through" I'm thinking it's not necessary....plus I already have almost everything (about 14 pages of work) printed and pasted in place without them.

What do you think??:confused: Necessary or not? Thanks to anyone with advice!

che09

I think if you already have almost everything,then I think it's not necessary but in case you want it t some point you can always put it. ;)

Mug

Make sure that the folder/book you put the work in is as high quality as your work. It will make a massive difference. I don't think you should have descriptions because you can just answer any questions the interviewer asks about your work. You may want to have additional prints of your work to leave with the interviewer. You don't need a whole book just your best work.

helloworld

I think you are much better off without the descriptions. For your interview, they will not only be looking for someone that can get the job done right, but someone that they want to work with.
Without the captions, you will enable the interviewer to start a conversation about your work, and get to know you.. rather than just reading what you did in silence.

BMA

Banned
Ditto HelloWorld. Plus, you don't want them reading while you are trying to talk to them. You want them engaged with your design and with you personally.

Coffee Freak

I had a Graphic Arts professor in college that used to say, "If it needs explanation, you didn't design it correctly." I used that methodology whenever I'd design anything, especially websites. I remember once when I worked at Ford, I had to critique a CLASS I was enrolled in to teach us how to use a website that a different department created. They REALLY didn't like the comments I submitted that it was a waste of time to teach a class on how to use a website. The site (and all of it's buttons, etc.) should have been self-expanitory.