My Portfolio Website

kayla

I'm new here, but thought I'd ask for some feedback. My site can be found at http://www.kaylaellisdesign.com. Any feedback would be appreciated! I'm still learning, and I'm pretty terrible with graphic design so I'm willing to take any advice anyone has to offer. Thanks in advance!

d a v e

quite nice and presentable. few things that might improve it ;)

bit more white space at very top to allow logo to breathe
bit more line height and left align the text (not fully justified)

bit more padding (left and right)

favicon

if you put your email on the web it will get spammed - stick with that short and simple form ;)

cobraart

nice color scheme

logo needs some breathing room, but i think changing the height of the id="topbar" would add too much space to the navigation unless you brought the menu items down to the bottom of "topbar"...i think the word "design" in your logo has too much height for that space...try decreasing the font size or use a font with less height.

i agree that you need to add some padding to the intro section. I would also something else to break up the intro and the services area. Maybe a 1px pink line or something...

other than that...its a great design

notarypublic

A '.' after web designer :)

But otherwise, great color scheme, great design. Maybe a higher line-height to give the text a bit more breathing room, and more padding at the bottom between the content and the footer.

Best of luck! You're definitely on the right track.

Edit: Your favicon isn't displaying for me, and it's a bit nitpicky, but could your logo redirect to the home page? A lot of visitors click on logos to get back to the home page, instead of reading to find the link to the home page. Sad but true. Also, justified text is mildly discouraged from an accessibility standpoint - while it works on print, some people have trouble reading it on a screen.

Last edited:

kayla

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I'm glad you like the design. I'm not a fan of pink but for some reason I really wanted a pink site...

I've made some changes!
- Added padding to the top of the logo to give more "breathing room"
- Added a favicon (it isn't showing up in my browser though, hmm)
- Added padding to the left and right of the content
- Added padding to the top of the content (under the pink area)
- Made the width of the "About" section smaller to help separate it from the "Services" section
- Removed the blog page (it's been empty since January... I really don't think I'll get around to it anytime soon)
- Changed the line height (I've never done it before, so hopefully I did it right!)

I ended up keeping my email listed on the contact page. I get spam anyway, but not much of it... doesn't bother me. I also didn't add a period after "...and I'm a web designer" only because I plan on changing that section sometime soon anyway.

Thanks again for the tips! Greatly appreciated!!

http://kaylaellisdesign.com/

thewebexec

Actually, i really liked that. I love the colours, and it seemed very smart. One piece of advice I always give everyone, add the contact form, however small on the front page. it will drastically increase conversions :)

Atius

really good design, i like your portfolio work :). Try adding some social network share buttons like facebook and/or twitter, it makes u more accesible

Quasha

Simplicity is the best and you can proved it I think through seeing your design. Good work. Hope you will continuing your good work.

kayla

A few more changes...

- Joined Twitter and added the icon (the icon I chose doesn't really fit my theme, but it was cute so I went with it)
- Made my logo link to the index page
- Added another portfolio piece
- Got the favicon working (initially had it in the wrong folder)

Have yet to add a contact form on the front page. Maybe I'll get to that soon.

As usual, feedback is always appreciated! Thanks everyone.