My online web/photo portfolio website. Please help test and critique!

tomazws

Hi all!

I just created a portfolio website for myself. It's sort of javascript heavy. The site is very simple, there's a splash page and 3 content pages. Please click around and let me know what you think! I'd love to hear from you! Any suggestions, critiques, and advices are great help for me! Thank you!

http://www.tomazws.com/

notarypublic

Love the concept, has a lot of personality. Maybe a bit unprofessional on the 'about me' section, but that's your decision ;)

* Any chance of a horizontal slider to allow scroll through the sites on the horizontal page?

* How does your site do for SEO?

* I'm getting deeper into writing scripts in JS, which library did you use for this?

jasonrichardsmi

Hi all!

I just created a portfolio website for myself. It's sort of javascript heavy. The site is very simple, there's a splash page and 3 content pages. Please click around and let me know what you think! I'd love to hear from you! Any suggestions, critiques, and advices are great help for me! Thank you!

http://www.tomazws.com/

Awesome site and what you did with the javascripts is really cool. I also like that you did what you did without flash.

Two things.

The pages doesn't degrade gracefully.

The green over your personal page is a little dark. I would suggest lightening it up a bit.

I would normally say, don't make your site so flashy but your portfolio shows you can tone it down.

tomazws

- Scroll: Since the website completely fails in iPad iPod etc, I'm wondering if I should really revert the site back to the ordinary scroll bar method... or simply create another version for them touchscreen devices.

- SEO: I haven't gotten to that point yet LOL. I want to make each pop up website, each pop up image with an accessible URL. I sorta semi gotten to it with anchor name. But I will have to mess around with the htaccess to see if I can turn solid URL into page+anchor

- JS library: That's one problem with me, I hate using other people's library. I simply wrote the whole thing myself. There's not an extra feature that's unused sitting around in there. But I'd assume using a library might save me half the coding time... I started this website last Friday on the 13th. Kinda lost my mind in it..

- What do you mean by the pages don't degrade gracefully?

- Green page: YES! I will really have to fix that! With a lighter green like you said, or at least with some colors in it. I feel like the page is too green, a bit too hard to read. But haven't gotten an idea on how to fix it yet :\

Thank you guys for checking the site and the comments!

jasonrichardsmi

- Scroll: Since the website completely fails in iPad iPod etc, I'm wondering if I should really revert the site back to the ordinary scroll bar method... or simply create another version for them touchscreen devices.

- What do you mean by the pages don't degrade gracefully?

- Green page: YES! I will really have to fix that! With a lighter green like you said, or at least with some colors in it. I feel like the page is too green, a bit too hard to read. But haven't gotten an idea on how to fix it yet :\
Degrade gracefully means if javascript is not enabled for some reason or the client browser is choking on the script you have alternate methods to view the page.

Basically that means you write the page in css and html first and make sure it looks ok. If that works you manipulate that base with your javascript. That way, if javascript does not load, they can still navigate the page.

Usually this is not a problem but from what I have seen on postings on job openings, people do look for it. If you install one of the browser developer extensions you can easily turn javascript on and off and see if your page degrades gracefully.

As an example for this page:
http://www.tomazws.com/websites.php
What you can do for your website page is, create a basic blank page with all your websites listed in one long line.
put the entire list in a
HTML:
<div id="basicpage"> full list of stuff here</div>

Then with jquery
Code:
$("#basicpage").html("")

So if the page loads with javascript enabled it would replace everything in the <div> tag with nothing and they can see the fancy stuff you presented. If javascript doesnt load at least they can still see your webpages.

This is an oversimplification but you can get the idea.

JackRT

Loved the pics... can you make them larger though? the thumbnails are just a little smaller than the originals. I'd love to see them larger...

tomazws

Oh yes I will have to definitely look into that. I do receive other feedbacks regarding the site completely fails if Javascript is turned off.