My First website

elbow83

Hey all,

my first published site went live a few weeks ago
Still a work in progress, have a list of updates to be done

Let me know what everyone thinks, would love to get some different opinions on it!

http://www.crxkenpo.ie

thanks folks

Almo99

Looks good! But I would play with the nav bar a bit. Maybe check out some of the Dreamweaver spry elements. But overall it's a great first start.

Cheers
Alice

elbow83

@Alice:
Damn! why didn't i think of Spry??? i thought about how to do what the client wanted for ages! basically they wanted me to copy the nav bar from the National Geographic site... oh well, it is still a work in progress so not too late to change it to a spry element... thanks for the feedback on it :)

WPExplorer

1. You should not be using any tables in web design these days...It has become outdated since the 90's pretty much.

2. The blue is really hard to see on the black background...maybe add a text-shadow and a different shade of blue.

3. You shouldn't be using images for the navigation bar due to SEO purposes and because text in images is not as clear. You may also want to consider wrapping your navigation in <ul> tags since it is a list.

4. Overall the design looks very early 1990's

You should consider purchasing a book that teaches you some CSS and you will be much better off than just messing around with dreamweaver.

Jay-S

It looks really nice for a first site. But I would recommend trying out some gradients to add a little more "flare" to the design.

LouTheDesigner

I would also get rid of the hit counter. Just like tables are somewhat outdated for layout, hit counters are very 90's. Just use google analytics. No need to try to impress a visitor by showing them how many hits your site gets.

-Louis

Ignis

The dark blue over black doesn't look so hot.

There's a few HTML issues (you declared the DOC type though, good job).

You need a message for when no JavaScript is available on the user's browser if you are going to do a JavaScript only menu (clicking your links without it takes me to dead zones in your site).

You managed cross browser compatibility pretty well (probably because you used mostly tables though, so I can't praise it too much).

I can honestly say though, it looks a hell of a lot better than my first.

elbow83

Thanks for the comments and advice folks... nice to have some experienced eyes looking over it :)

@WPExplorer:
CSS book on the way... College didn't really cover the section that well.
Which tables are we talking about tho? more than likely the one that the Nav bar is in right? confused me a bit as when i inserted the FW HTML it inserted in a table... is that normal or did I do something wrong?
Working on a css nav bar at the moment, so will update the site as soon as i get the hang of it. Are there any decent online tutorials for it?

@Lou
The hit counter was one of the requirements from the client. I didn't want it.
Will suggest getting rid of it in favour of analytics. I didn't know about it so very helpful advice there, thanks a mill

@Ignis
Cant take credit for the Doc type. Dreamweaver did that for me :eek:
Again tables... is this the nav bar one by any chance?

Good thing here is the "client" is related to my brother in law, so not under huge pressure to get things right first time. And he isn't paying me so i get to experiment as much as i want as long as the design is still something he wants.
Really appreciate the advice and comments... very helpful

Albert

Hi

hi nice website , would like to visit surely in free time .But the work done is fine . Are you following proper SEO for this sites.

Take a look here too : carttemplates