My first real job as a web designer, I have no idea what to charge!

ZHarner83

A local credit union that my sister works for wants me to redesign there html template built website with something a little nicer. I evaluated the site and gave them a list of things that includes:

SCOPE OF SERVICES
1. Design Changes
A. Redesign layout of all pages to provide uniformity and flow, plus additional changes to pages.
a. All Pages
i. Create scrolling image in place of main image for marketing
b. Home Page
i. Provide more white space for marketing and news details
c. Subpages
i. All Subpages (This is the only noticeable made to subpages unless specifically noted)
1. Redesign layout to make all subpages resemble the home page layout
ii. About Us
1. Place about us and mission statement on initial “About Us” page
2. Location and Hours
a. Add Google Map
b. Add holiday hours
3. Membership Criteria
a. Create the Membership Application
i. Create storage table in SQL database for viewing of applications
iii. News
1. Create a Newsletter sign up form
iv. Contact Us
1. Redesign the contact us form to store the messages in the database as well as sending an email.
B. Design and build admin page to allow full control of website updating to owners and their selected employees
a. The admin page is username and password protected
b. The admin page will allow the following changes to be made
i. Add and remove pictures from the scrolling image on the home page
ii. Add news and updates to the home page
iii. Edit any existing text on any of the current pages
iv. Review and Approve/Deny member applications
v. Receive messages from the “Contact Us “ page
vi. Update dynamic data
1. Interest Rates
2. Promotions
3. Account Types
vii. Create other admin accounts
viii. View logs of admin activity
ix. View logs daily, weekly, and monthly site hits
C. Design and build SQL database to store information
a. Structured Query Language
b. Database hosted on your website provider
c. Database is used to store information that the redesigned website will retrieve and display on the site
d. Database information will be editable through the admin panel
D. Rebuild of all HTML files to PHP
a. PHP provides dynamics that html can not
b. PHP is used to retrieve information from the SQL database
c. PHP provides use of variables in links which hides directory structure and provides more security
2. Additional Suggestions (but not mandatory for redesign)
a. Facebook Insights and Meta Tags
i. Implementing Facebook into the website can greatly increase the number of hits the site will receive daily.
ii. Facebook provides meta tags for the Facebook application created for your site
1. These meta tags allow the display of like buttons on the website
a. The like buttons are shared on users Facebook pages which in turn shares the site with any friends that see it on their wall
b. White space available to partners, affiliates, and others who may pay to advertise on the website
i. The home page may have enough space left after the final design that will allow you to lease the space for a set amount of time and provide advertisement for local businesses

3. Training, Implementation and Testing
A. Testing
a. All design and testing of the website will be conducted on my system with a private hosted database
b. The current website will not be effected during the testing phase
B. Implementation
a. When all discrepancies in the programming are clear, the web site will be implemented in a single upload on a preselected date
b. Lifetime support will be available for admin support and for support of problems that may occur within the system.
C. Training
a. Training for the admin panel will be provided around the implementation time
b. Outline for admin panel use will also be provided.

That is copied directly out of the proposal letter I gave them.

I don't have to worry about online banking or anything because that is handled by a third party.

What should I charge for this project? I really have no idea. Usually when I do web work for people its on a trade of goods, and usually isn't this in depth.

junery00

Here in california Web designers charge from 400 to 700 i have been some researches about prices and found the the cheapest was 400 for just a single page , the other guys usually go by number of pages

chrishirst

Staff member
Well if that is the spec I'd be pitching at 8 - 10 x £1,000 PLUS the training would be extra and negotiable

But if they are happy to use a CMS where 98% of that functionality is already built in and it is basically a "design to layout", 4 - 6 x £100 plus the training at £100 per day (plus expenses if it is was more than 20 miles away).

ZHarner83

What do you guys thinks of this article on it?

http://www.itcareerfinder.com/brain-food/it-salaries/web-developer-salary-range.html

It says for Ohio (where I live) that an hourly rate should be around $36.37 per hour.

I am not exactly sure how long it would even take me to actually build it. I've been messing with web design for 17 years now, but its always been more of a hobby. So when I would do work for people on trade, it was usually just mess with it when I got some free moments a few times a week. I never had a full time schedule doing it.

Chris, do you mean 8-10 as in the time period to get it done?

Junery, if its $400 a page, what do they charge for adding an SQL database, and some scripting as well?

ZHarner83

Thanks Junery.

Chris, I have never seen an evaluation like this. I see that you multiply 8 to 10 by 1000 to get the total, but I still am not sure what the 8 to 10 means. What does the 8 to 10 represent?

chrishirst

Staff member
in my case, POUNDS STERLING, GBP, £££££££

Alternatively MONEY, the CURRENCY of the country I reside in.

Though I have one question, why would you think the ' 8 to 10' could be anything other than a monetary value??
After all "how much to charge for the job" was your original question.

leroy30

I read 8-10 as 8 to 10. Nothing to do with pounds :p

And the reason why? I didn't care! All I read was 8000 to 10000 :)

ZHarner83

Probably because I have never seen it written out like that. I assumed originally that the 8-10 was the time frame in which to get it done.

Like Leroy said, 8000 to 10000. Here I guess we would just write the value instead of a formula. That's probably why I was confused :)

ZHarner83

I ended up telling him that I would do it all for $29. If he wanted the suggested features as well it would be an additional weeks worth of work.

I didn't charge him for any SQL or graphics, and I took $7 off of the state average ($36/hr). He came back with a counter offer that took an additional $7 off the state average ($22/hr), but I told him I was already giving him a good deal and that I could not go any lower. I am now awaiting a response.

Last edited: