My 1st client

webamateur

Have you considered just going knocking on doors of small local businesses? Everybody needs a web presence these days and many people running businesses don't have the skills or time to set up a good looking website. Design yourself a professional looking flyer/business card and drop it round a few places in person. They may not say yes right away but you can always follow it up later with a quick phone call.
In the meantime is there someone you can do a freebie for to use as an example rather than just your own site ?
Webamateur.

pingeyeg

That's actually not bad advice. That is how I started my business and gained my first clients. It definitely takes time and you have to have patience. You will be told no several times before you get your first yes. Then once you get that yes you have to make sure you do everything correct so you don't lose that first customer.

wizzpig666

any more advice people?

I agree with the knocking on doors and handing out business cards. It can be painful, sometimes demoralising when no one bites, but it can certainly produce results. Also send emails to everyone you can think of. I got business this way when I was chatting online to a friend I haven't seen in years. Told him I was doing web design and turns out he needed a website. It was pure chance, but it made me think, you never know who may need a site, especially if you are offering cheap rates.

Good luck

Amber24

At some businesses they have places where you can put your business cards where everybody that comes in can see them.

Amber24

I just thought about this everytime you go out ask around and anybody that sounds interested in it give them a business card. Usually word of mouth is a lot better than just giving them the card so if you talk to them they might be more willing to use your company than if you just gave them the card and didnt say anything.

webmasterdan

Make sure you have ways of distinguishing your biz from other local ones. Make sure you measure up your competition against yourself. You need to be able to compare & contrast yourself like your customers would. IE: What's you best strength compared to them... price?

adx

Seems you're getting some solid advice here!
I have nothing to add except.. <meta name="description" content="Doug is cool"> ?

Ha! That made my day! Good luck to you sir :)

lindseyh

Do you have a business card? if you dont you should make one. I always carry mine around in my wallet, and just gave one to a prospective client yesterday. You could look on the internet for local businesses in your area and see if they have a website. If they don't have a website, or have a website that is bad / out of date you could drop by and ask to see the manager.. explain who you are and what you can do. Also explain how important a website can be for marketing reasons. Give them your business card and tell them to call if they're interested.
You could also make and print some flyers if you wanted and post them on bulletin boards around your local area. Oh, plus SEO for your website.