Multiple Ads on Google Adsense

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen a few sites that had multiple adsense ads, and thought that was against their terms, but looks like they allow it now.
From their email
Multiple ad units [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To provide even more value to your users, and to help you further monetize your web pages, we're allowing publishers to place up to three ad units on every web page. Our system will automatically recognize the additional ad units, and will serve unique ads to each. Your ad units can each have different color palettes, formats, and alternate ad URLs, providing you with the flexibility you need to incorporate Google ads into your site design.[/font]
Since you are allowed three, I reckon two little one unit ads on either side of the quick reply box might be effective. Figuring out how to implement that would be another thing.

Chroder

I like that. When I still had DevBox I always wanted to place ads other places, but I liked the look of the header ad the best :p

Anyway, I don't think ads would look good down here in the QR box... A neat idea I saw on another forum though, was the Google ads floated to the right of the first reply of a thread. I think that would be effective.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen that being used, first post, then google ads, then rest of the thread, but I find that quite annoying. I guess if you are a really large forum, you can get away with stuff like that.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Actually placing a small ad in that empty space to the right of the reply box is something I would never have thought of, It was an idea you suggested in jest a long time ago.
So if i ever implement it and it annoys people, I can blame you for it :p

Chroder

I didn't mean the first post, then ads. The ads are in the first post floated the the right.

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Chroder

Actually placing a small ad in that empty space to the right of the reply box is something I would never have thought of, It was an idea you suggested in jest a long time ago.
I think my comment was about ads inside of the QR textarea. OYSO, the forum where I first won my vB license, did that. It only worked in the WYSIWYG editor though. I guess you could use some absolute positioning and Javascript to get it to work with the other editors though.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
The ads are in the first post floated the the right.
So you mean floating like on a layer on top of the page? Does it move down as you scroll down?
I think my comment was about ads inside of the QR textarea.
No, I was referring to the empty space to the right of the editor, not actually inside the editor, and you definitely made that suggestion at WMF when we were discussing placement of ads, but this was before adsense was even launced. So i was thinking along the lines of an 88x31 button, and placing it in the top of every forum category on the forum homepage. And you mentioned the empty space near the quick reply.
I remember everything :p

Chroder

So you mean floating like on a layer on top of the page? Does it move down as you scroll down?
No, I mean float as in "style=float:right". Basically CSS for "align=right", getting the text to just wrap around the ads.

I don't remember any of that, I think your making it up so you can blame me if it goes wrong :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I don't remember any of that, I think your making it up so you can blame me if it goes wrong :p
Dont make me go back there and dig up an old thread to prove I was right, although the site is now more palateable with the new design and restructure. I still dont like going back.. :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Chroder said:
Wtf..........
That has been like that for some time now.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ads by Goooooogle[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We’re currently running a test with new branding features on Google ads. You may notice some of your pages displaying ‘Ads by Goooooogle’ ad units. We welcome your feedback on this new look, and we’ll be analyzing the results of this test over the next while.[/font]

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Ads by Goooooogle to see what it was about. I guess that is part of their market research.
It would be in the mod forum wouldn't it? I don't have access there anymore :p I quit!
looks like they finally removed [tab] in the new redesign, he used to be a moderator of just about every forum.

Chroder

Woah I didn't even see the new design 'til now. Well, not really a new design. More like an uglier color scheme and uglier header :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is a big improvement, especially the categories, that forum amalgamation they did was really crap, looks like they may have finally listened to one of the super mods around there.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
The design fits in with the look and feel of the sister domain name site, Now they just need to fix the ugly colors they used for the google ads.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Chroder said:
I don't like it at all. It's too bold IMO. Too bright...
too glitzy, too cheesy, I guess this place goes to the other extreme of being too plain. Good to see they have held my slogan of "webmasters sharing knowledge"
looks like normal "Google" is back
It alternates every now and then, but I still see gooooooogle