More feedback...

Siberius

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum ^^
I'd like some costructive criticism (and maybe some suggestion) on this site I've made:
Grapevine Registry
A couple of things:
- I've no formal training in web design or even in coding: this is my first site
- There were number of constraints, like the left part of the header, that influenced the color theme of the site (for instance, I chosed orange to try to harmonize with that -hateful- light blue...)
At the moment it's in Italian only, so I'll shortly describe the various sections:
- "Home": blablabla
- "Quadro Normativo": blablabla
- "Contatti": blablabla
- "Catalogo": a (imho good) implementation of the flexigrid.js script for interactive tables, unfortunately discontinued
- "Ricerca": a search form
If you click any of the "Varietà" (grapevine variety) on the "Catalogo" table you'll be linked a data sheet of that variety.

chrishirst

Staff member
It's a Dreamweaver template, you don't really need any "training" or "skills" to throw one of those together

Siberius

I guess you tell it by the name of the classes... yes, I've started with a Dreamweaver template, but it wasn't even similar to what it looks like now.

chrishirst

Staff member
Sure, but what have learned?

How to drag and drop?
How to type some numbers into property boxes?
Did it provide any insight into colour theory? Yes of course everybody has to start somewhere, but a Dreamweaver "design view" is really not the best place.

Siberius

That's what I meant by "lack of proper training" in design. I know it looks very web 1.0, but I was asked for a tidy and decent looking site, not for a pièce d'art: going further would have taken me too much time and exceded that request.
Now, putting aside merits and demerits of Dreamweaver (which, again, was just a starting point, last versions have been mostly coded using plain JEdit), do you have any suggestion on how to improve the whole appearance?

By the way, thanks for the link.

Last edited:

krymson

Not bad for your first attempt, certainly not the design i would use for talking about wine, at least i think that's what its talking about, my italian is a bit off due to i speak english and spanish.

I would either go with a web designer or design your site around your business or what you're trying to sell, not a generic design.

I applaud you for going out and learning though... gotta start somewhere, now you just need to focus on building it around your business or product

Siberius

to krymson:
The site is roughly about the same topic as this (in the US):
NGR
Being an institutional and informative website (ie. is not selling anything), I went for what I perceived as chromatically "formal": greyscale with some red. Orange was added to complement with the light blu of the mandatory part of the header.

to dave:
That's a known issue. As now, the page stretches beetween 1024 and 1340 px width; I'd add a column to narrow the main text width, problem is I wouldn't know what to put in it.

krymson

Still I think it should be designed more towards the industry so when people go there they can relate to content to the design of the website which in turn will have them rememver the site better.