Mobile website/design

MasterTheWeb

If you also want your website to look good on mobile phones/tablets, what's the best way to do so. Make a complete new website and redirect the viewer to it or just use some css media screen.. or do you know something better? Just wondering what you prefer :)

jwpizzy

If your site isn't bulky, then I would go with CSS media queries.
Otherwise creating a separate mobile version would be better if you have a site that has tons of content.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
separate mobile versions is so 3 years ago. what do we all use shitty little nokia's?

disregard that totally stupid statement.

OK make a mobile site.
and a smartphone site (and a dumbphone site too)
make one for blackberry
make one for the iphone
and the iphone4
and any android based phone.
and the midrange tablets
and the medium tablets
and the ipad
and the large tablets
and you may as well target the other 987 variety of devices that exist.

OR you could use media queries.

The ONLY reason not to use a media query site would be for a brick and mortar site where its not really needed to show ALL the content, but make SURE you have a link to the normal site.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I say throw it all to the curb. 960 grid system, not the fluid one, and throw in some AP divs. All images. HUGE logo. ;)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
why bother with the 960 ronald when you can just use apdivs and images.
oh and a flash splash :)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
well as long as its just sitting their bloating code I guess thats OK.

may as well get mootools, prototype AND jQuery happening there as well. get some conflicts happening...and lets not forget a stack of animated gifs as well.

oh yes speaking of images. dont worry about optimizing them. mobile users LOVE to download 250kb thumbnails. In fact they should be UNCOMPRESSED. maybe even a bitmap.
and make the navigation an image map inside a table inside a h1 inside a div inside another table

now I think we're almost ready!!!