Microsoft Buys Skype For $8.5 Billion In Cash!!!

Quasha

The deal is done. Microsoft is buying Skype for $8.5 billion in cash in its first sizeable acquisition since August 2008, when the Redmond software giant spent $486 million on Greenfield Online.

Way too much money. So, what are you thinking guys? Whats the strategy behind this incredible move by Microsoft as this is Microsoft’s biggest financial bet?

JackRT

They probably just wanted to snatch it up before Google did.

Not really... it was actually recently bought by Silver lake, which also owns Avaya... it's not like Skype was out there looking for buyers...

The fact that Avaya let Skype go could mean 2 things... either they offered a lot more than its worth OR Avaya did not see any future in Skype...

MS has its own PBX (software) product and want to use skype to improve their service.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not really... it was actually recently bought by Silver lake, which also owns Avaya... it's not like Skype was out there looking for buyers...

It was a joke. Ya know, since Google and MS pretty much eventually buy everything out.:rolleyes:

che09

Wow! This is something to watch out for! If Skype really worth the price!!

They probably just wanted to snatch it up before Google did.

You really think Google would buy it,if MS hasn't?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
what type of improvement will be out there?
very little I doubt. M$ have not done anything remarkably groundbreaking for years now, everything of theirs goes buggy or uses proprietary code that defies logic.I cannot see them turning the corner with this. In fact it screams to me that they've exhausted their brains of how to actually start creating good ideas, and so have turned to buying out existing ideas. very much like newsltd/myspace and we all know how that went...