making stuff look great

rxl123

Hu guys - this may be a really dumb question, but here goes. I been doing plain text HTML and then using coffee cup for a while. Got a trial on Dreamweaver, which was fine as it got me into css. The trouble is pages all look fairly flat. What I want to do is make my pages look high end.

I am happy to buy software, but I dont know what. The layout I am fine with, as I can use dreamweaver or even coffee cup. The thing I cant work out is the fancy graphics. I love the look and feel of the Adobe site but I cant work out why. The layout I could do fine, but the fancy images, mouseovers etc - are they built up using photoshop or illustrator or flash or are they generated by being clever with dreamweaver functionality?

Help please! I am happy to put the effort in to learn a new tool, but I don't want to learn the wrong one. Thanks

Paul

Usually, the graphics for a web site are designed in special programs, such as Adobe Photoshop, that's why it seems hard to achieve that effect in a coding program, such as Adobe Dreamweaver. If you can purchase Photoshop, use it. It will help you achieve great looking web sites (once you have had the practice designing, obviously).

Cratima

glamor makers

I think that you should use flash for animations, mouse-overs; photoshop or fireworks for images, layout.
You we'll gain the glamor, the difference between a MS Word document and a PDF file.
Good luck!

Clock

You might want to consider buying a subscription to lynda.com. It has tons of useful tutorials on nearly every application or subject you can think of regarding web design, audio producing, word processing, etc. etc.

I just learned CSS along with dreamweaver this summer by watching these tutorials. They're a little dry, I admit, but it's worth it. It's $25/month, but you can cancel at anytime.

rxl123

Tks for the response guys

Tks for the response guys - I really appreciate it.

I have downloaded a trial of photoshop to see if I can get on with it. Any 101 tips on best way to start with it?