Mac vs. PC for web design

LouTheDesigner

Okay, so I've been working on an iBook G4, and would desperately like to get a new computer. Maybe a desktop. I've been told for a long time that, for some reason, it is better to do graphic and web design on a mac. Why is this so?

With the increasing price of Macintosh computers, would it hurt me to buy a Gateway? Is the software somehow different?

Thanks in advance,
Louis

ChaosEnt

I use just a standard Macbook, But use the adobe package for image editing and web design, so I wouldent really see any difference between the mac and pc due to the software being multi-platform, however I still think a mac would be better in terms of reliability and end quality of your document, not to mention the ease of use!

horrorshow75

Honestly I don't think it's any different. I think macs are marketed more towards the artsy crowd so they tend to come standard with software needed to accomplish things like graphic design or video editing. However like Chaos said with adobe being cross platform I don't really see why photoshop or flash would work any differently on a PC than on a mac.

The only problem i would forsee is that you will have to buy all new software as you won't be able to use the mac software on the new pc.

LouTheDesigner

Thanks for the responses. I really do want to switch over to Windows, I'm just nervous about Vista, and I have no idea when Windows 7 will come out.

I'll be getting CS4 soon anyway, so the software won't be much of an issue. Your responses made me more confident that there really isn't much of a difference.

thanks,

Louis

horrorshow75

If it makes you feel any better I run CS4 on a vista machine and haven't had any issues. Just make sure you have at least 2gb of ram (I recommend 4gb or more) as CS4 will complain when you go to install. It will still install but it will run slow.

undoIT

Linux should be in this equation. I have used Ubuntu for the past couple years as my primary operating system and there are many powerful and freely available tools that make my life easier as a web developer.

The KDE Web Dev suite is very useful, especially KLinkStatus and KFileReplace:

http://kdewebdev.org/

Filezilla is great for FTP. Gnome also as a nice FTP browser built-in to the file browser. Even the standard text editors, gedit (or kate if you are using KDE) come with color hi-lighted code and other plugins for coders.

I am way more productive developing websites in Ubuntu than I was while using Windows or OS X.

Ubuntu also works on both a Mac or a PC and you can run either OS X or Windows in Virtualbox (think free Parallels) for anything that you need from those two operating systems. (In reality, Macs are PCs, "Personal Computers")

Not trying to be a evangelist, but Linux is worth a serious look if you are a web developer.

LouTheDesigner

I've used Linux when I was heavy into programming. Never liked it much.

Thanks for the confidence horrorshow. I think I'm off to gateway.com.

Louis

flipboy

I run both a mac and a pc. I run cs3 on the mac and don't use the pc for designing at all but I don't think it would be that much of a difference

undoIT

I've used Linux when I was heavy into programming. Never liked it much.

Thanks for the confidence horrorshow. I think I'm off to gateway.com.

Louis

"confidence horror show" :D too funny

If you care what people think about you and want to look good while doing your web design, get a Mac. There is really not much difference between the two in regards to developing websites. I own a MacBook and a Dell XPS M1330 and I use both to work on my websites.

One last consideration, if you buy the Adobe Creative Suite for the Mac and later decide you want a computer from another manufacturer, good luck installing OS X so you can run your expensive Adobe CS3 software. Much better to buy the Windows version.

jwaters

I may be biased (in a windows network administration position) but I strongly prefer Windows to the Mac platform (but it's really a personal preference). When it comes down to it, you're designing for standards that are the same across all platforms - so there is no difference in the work you create. It's all just the software you like. Like the other guy said, stick to Mac if you like it and already have all that software.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly I don't think it's any different. I think macs are marketed more towards the artsy crowd so they tend to come standard with software needed to accomplish things like graphic design or video editing. However like Chaos said with adobe being cross platform I don't really see why photoshop or flash would work any differently on a PC than on a mac.

The only problem i would forsee is that you will have to buy all new software as you won't be able to use the mac software on the new pc.

I agree 100%. Dont be afraid of Vista it won't bite ,lol. OSX is better though. I use both platforms..I have a PC desktop, Dell Vostro with 30" lcd monitor (yeah its big) and then I use a G5 macbook pro 17" at home. The software from adobe is the best hands down and it is available for both platforms....both (pc/mac) can open each others docs so its really a matter of style/preference. I like Windows explorer better than macs [version] just because you can do more with. Mac are almost twice the cost :(