Looking for website design ideas and/or requests!

Peachhunter12

Hi,

I am home-bound at the moment and would love to work with someone. I can build simple websites at the moment; I can't build complex sites using PHP and Javascript. However, I do have some of these skills under my belt. I currently run a web design business called jrcwebs.com. I have both worked on it and put it off for a while now. It is my goal to one day operate as a web designer all by myself. At the moment the domain is under construction...

What I am asking for here is a recommendation on a website that I could build. I'm looking to gain some knowledge/experience. I'm very accepting as to what I could build. At the same time it needs to be something that would keep me interested.

I will be able to answer some questions if anyone has any. I would appreciate some ideas. Please feel free to email me with a request if possible. My email is [email protected] :)

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
PHP is not a "design" concern.

PHP is for developing "back end systems" and/or a User Interfaces (UI), as are ASP, ASP.NET, Perl etc. You really have to decide whether you are going to be a designer or a developer. The difference being that a designer makes the "pretty bits", the layout, colours and fonts etc. For which you need an artistic talent and a working knowledge of colour theory.

The developers job is to make what the designer comes up with into a functional system, which may or may not include any server side coding.

Peachhunter12

So your saying that web designers don't do development too? In some cases I would agree but I wouldn't say designers can't do both.

chrishirst

Staff member
Sure but programmers and/or developers rarely have the artistic talent to be a really good designer and many designers consider development to be whatever Dreamweaver can do.

aberth802

Sure but programmers and/or developers rarely have the artistic talent to be a really good designer and many designers consider development to be whatever Dreamweaver can do.

You mean theres more to web development than Dreamweaver!! :eek::eek:

haha... I have so much to learn

Justinfh2Point0

PHP is not a "design" concern.

PHP is for developing "back end systems" and/or a User Interfaces (UI), as are ASP, ASP.NET, Perl etc. You really have to decide whether you are going to be a designer or a developer. The difference being that a designer makes the "pretty bits", the layout, colours and fonts etc. For which you need an artistic talent and a working knowledge of colour theory.

The developers job is to make what the designer comes up with into a functional system, which may or may not include any server side coding.

While a designer and a developer are two different things, most people who build/develop websites for a living are both designers and developers. Well...the people who do both are more likely to succeed in this industry.

Really? Because I know programmers in my area who are also talented designers.

Last edited: