Looking for feedback on my portfolio site

LCS

Hey there, I'm new around here. I was hoping to get some feedback on my new portfolio site. It's just an experimental personal portfolio site, not something that I'm using primarily to generate business or anything, so please keep that in mind.

Be warned that 1) it's Flash, 2) there's sound/music (which can be disabled separately at the bottom), 3) the frame rate may be choppy on weaker systems (motion can be disabled from top center logo)

http://www.lcs-multimedia.com/

Thanks for your comments.

anna

Hi,
I appreciate what you're trying to do but anytime you have to set up people's experience by saying 1) it's flash 2) there's music 3) frames may be choppy, it is going to hinder you. There's music in TWO different spots which is kind of annoying. IMHO the overall look and feel of the site is kind of cheesy... If you're not tying to use it for business, why is there a services tab announcing what you can do for people?

dreamality

feedback

Hey there, I'm new around here. I was hoping to get some feedback on my new portfolio site. It's just an experimental personal portfolio site, not something that I'm using primarily to generate business or anything, so please keep that in mind.

Be warned that 1) it's Flash, 2) there's sound/music (which can be disabled separately at the bottom), 3) the frame rate may be choppy on weaker systems (motion can be disabled from top center logo)

http://www.lcs-multimedia.com/

Thanks for your comments.

The sunset background is nice. The futuristic look and feel of the buttons do not attract me. 2 songs, I think it's too much. Try to stay away from full flash sites, they are not search engine friendly.

Good luck!

LCS

@anna - Thanks. The disclaimer was just a simple courtesy, not something that I feel is required (just trying to be thoughtful). What I said about business was that it wasn't primarily for business, but I'll still take on clients (hence the Services). As for your opinion that it's "cheesy," I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't expect to please everyone.

@dreamality - Thanks for the comments and the good luck :) . I know full Flash isn't great for SEO, but there is some HTML in the background, so that should help. It's not really two songs -- one is music and one is sound fx so you can customize the the soundscape a bit (that is, for people who like that sort of thing). As for the futuristic font, I'd love to hear some suggestions of ones you think would work better. Thanks again.

Last edited:

aracaris

Actually looks wise I think it is very nice. However it does rely too heavily on Flash in my opinion, and music/sound fx that aren't off by default are generally considered bad design, and can be annoying, regardless of whether the sound is even good quality or not.
Something similar without so much reliance on Flash (I think Flash has its place, but it is easy to overuse), and with sound off by default (with the option to turn it on) would be a huge improvement in my opinion.
If I were you I would clearly label the music and sound buttons as on/off buttons. It might seem clear to you, but it's right on the cusp of being "mystery meat".

The only suggestion that I have for it looks wise is that it looks a little cluttered in the content area. Perhaps fade out the background there a bit more? Not on the whole site, but just in the content area. It will make it easier on the eyes as far as reading goes, and less cluttered.
I do really like the idea you are going for though.

Last edited:

LCS

aracaris - Thanks so much for your feedback and overall positivity. I agree that in most cases sound should be off by default. However, since this is just personal portfolio site, and not something for a client, I thought I'd make an exception (although I might change my mind). You definitely have a point about those mute toggle buttons -- I was thinking of adding a tooltip, or at the very least, perhaps, the little speaker icon. As for dimming the transparent background on the text pages to help with readability, that's an easy fix which I'm glad you brought to my attention. Thanks again for the astute and extremely reasonable critique!

AK Web Design

I like the site, but I think you should lose the music. It's just annoying. Maybe you could find a way to make it take less steps to actually see the examples in your portfolio.