loading a large movie

LouTheDesigner

Hi everyone,

One of my clients needs a slideshow for the intro to her website. The problem is that the slideshow that she wants is 100mb in size, and I can't lower the quality since it is a jewelry website. Is their any way to somehow dynamically load the pictures one by one as the slideshow goes on? The images also need to fade in and out. I would just rather not have to load the entire movie before it starts.

Thanks in advance,

Louis

jnjc

You best bet is to have two separate images for each shot. One relatively low resolution and small that will be part of your slide show and another high resolution image that is displayed when the user clicks an image in the slide show.

For the slide show look at something like this:

http://slideshow.tommcfarlin.com/

To view the image once the user clicks look at something like this:

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

I have never tried to implement a combination of both these scripts but I'd imagine it'd be fairly straight forward. If not there are loads of similar one out there.

I strongly recommend doing something like this, if your website takes ages to load because of large image sizes it will look unprofessional and it will drive users away from it.

HTH,
JC

LouTheDesigner

You best bet is to have two separate images for each shot. One relatively low resolution and small that will be part of your slide show and another high resolution image that is displayed when the user clicks an image in the slide show.

For the slide show look at something like this:

http://slideshow.tommcfarlin.com/

To view the image once the user clicks look at something like this:

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

I have never tried to implement a combination of both these scripts but I'd imagine it'd be fairly straight forward. If not there are loads of similar one out there.

I strongly recommend doing something like this, if your website takes ages to load because of large image sizes it will look unprofessional and it will drive users away from it.

HTH,
JC

I may have to settle for doing something like this, since I've use both of those scripts before. However, the client is going to be very very reluctant to have anything of lower quality (even slightly). Also, the images aren't of equal dimensions which makes it difficult to use the tommcfarlin script.

Any other suggestions?

Louis

Strike Designs

One of my clients needs a slideshow for the intro to her website. The problem is that the slideshow that she wants is 100mb in size, and I can't lower the quality since it is a jewelry website. Is their any way to somehow dynamically load the pictures one by one as the slideshow goes on? The images also need to fade in and out. I would just rather not have to load the entire movie before it starts.

I don't blame you at all for not wanting to load a 100mb intro as an entry page to a site! Even with today's higher speed connections that's pretty heavy going for the average Internet user.

I personally would develop a Flash movie to appear in a prominent position on the homepage - It's generally becoming less and less advised to have intro pages on web sites, people are generally impatient and demand the information they are seeking to be served to them as quickly as possible with the fewest clicks possible too!

If you've got Actionscript coding knowledge you could quickly and easily develop a movie to sit on the header space of the site and that pulls images, descriptions and urls from an XML file. Then have the movie display them in sequence (or randomly to maximise exposure of the client's product range). Discriptions could be displayed on mouse over and clicking the movie could direct the visitor straight to the product's own page.

I appreciate that the client has no doubt spent a great deal of time producing the slideshow and wouldn't want it to go to waste - maybe you could suggest that it be made available as a download from the site? It could be available to all visitors for free, or offered as an incentive to visitors that are happy to provide their email address, contact name and opt-in for infrequent email contact, which the client could then use for future marketing purposes.

Neil.

LouTheDesigner

Strike, that was a perfect response. Thanks. I did some XML loading for another section of her website. But that one was for an image gallery.

All of the CS3 code that I find online for self playing slideshows seem to assume that all of the images are of equal width and height, which her images are not. Does anyone know of a good XML / .fla combo that I can download online that will allow different image sizes?

Louis