Liquid versus Jelly Website Designs

Mgirl

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and in need of some advice.

I have engaged some web-designers to build an ecommerce site for me. Whilst i am happy with the graphics, images etc. and the general layout, they are using a Jelly (static) design, where the text and graphics are placed in the middle of the screen in a fairly thick column. The problem is that when the screen is viewed on settings of 800x600, 960x600 and 1024x768 pixels, i have to scroll horizontally scroll in order to add items to the cart. This in my view, is a design and busines-strategy flaw. I do not want to have to more the "add to cart" button as i am happy with the layout.

The designers briefly explained to me yesterday the concept of 'liquid' web design and were trying to deter me from the idea, suggesting (or so it seemed) that i stick with the Jelly (centered column type of design)...

I am wondering... am i being deceived a little? Is a liquid design more difficult (and maybe more expensive for them) to develop?

Why are they deterring me from having a liquid design? I know they said something about graphics...

Even though they cited statistics that more and more users are using higher pixel rates, i do not want to alienate any potential customers.

I am having a problem, please help me!

Can somebody clear this up for me? I am really in need of some objective advice.

Thanks in advance,

Mgirl

Last edited:

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
it can indeed be harder to make a layout that works equally well for all resolutions. however, the only reason i can think of for them to deter you from such a layout is that they are trying to sell you on the already finished product.

personally, if i were you and i knew what i wanted, i would demand it be done the way i want being that i am paying for the service. end of story.

yoshi8

It your site scolls on 1024x768 then you should cut off their balls. 1024x768 is the most common size and should at least fit that.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
It your site scolls on 1024x768 then you should cut off their balls. 1024x768 is the most common size and should at least fit that.
please refrain from using such profanity in each and everyone of your posts! thank you.

Mgirl

Yes, it does and i've requested a liquid site.

Thanks for your replies! Is a liquid site really harder than a jelly site to program?

yoshi8

Yes, it does and i've requested a liquid site.

Thanks for your replies! Is a liquid site really harder than a jelly site to program?

No its not harder, its just harder to control the layout as in how it will display on different size monitors.