Linked Images and Google

BMA

Banned
A recent review of Google's Webmaster Guidelines has given me pause. Now I have two questions.

I was under the impression that Google will recognize and use the Alt text of an image for indexing if the image is linked. Is that correct?

Will Google's crawlers follow linked images?

klper

If the image is linked, I think it will take some positive effect to increase page rank of a website. Web pages that used the keywords in image file names often had higher rankings. The same seems to be true for keywords in image alt attributes.

Roger

I agree with klper.
Also Google seems to give weight to the title of your page. By title, I mean the text that is sandwiched between the HTML <TITLE> tags in the <HEAD> section of your web page. If you use a Web editor that automatically inserts a title like "New Page", remember to change it to some meaningful text with your keywords inside to reap the benefit of this feature.
According to a paper published by one of Google's founders, if the links pointing to your page has the relevant keyword text in them, it will cause your page to be ranked higher in search engine results