Let us think

LouTheDesigner

www.w3schools.com/?

Many professionals (including senior designers) will sometimes slip away from specifications. Sometimes, you need to do so in order for things to work!

“In the matter of ideas the public prefer the cheap and nasty”. Charles Sanders Peirce

LouTheDesigner

As for tools, I like the Adobe Suite. Dreamweaver is an amazing tool, though a lot of professionals just use it for code view.

Really though, the best tool that you can have is heavy technical skill.

LouTheDesigner

I haven't experimented with the new illustrator CS4 yet, though I always thought it was such a great tool. I wonder if Microsoft's Silverlight is going to compete with Flash. I doubt it, but Silverlight fans will sometimes swear by it, and Microsoft is really trying to shove it into the competition.

JayT

A good designer knows how to write code and doesn't need a WYSIWYG editor. Photoshop Elements is good, although I find myself using Image Composer 1.5 more often than not. But then I don't rely too heavily on graphics when designing a website.

I don't use Flash myself. I like my websites to pop right up and get to work making money for my clients. I guess that's the real secret to being a top designer; knowing that the majority of people still hook up to the Internet via a phone line and modem. And if a website takes more than just a few seconds to load the visitor will click away. Bye bye blue bird.

I design websites for everyone with an Internet connection, not just a select few that have a broadband connection. I don't want to leave anyone out. I'm an equal opportunity Web developer.