Leaveing your signature on a website.

Mexichinksunite

When devloping a site for client, where do you feel is the best place to leave the mark of the designer. Your name, your company name, your number. WHere is the best place to put this information where it will bet noticed, but not be distracting?

zach

Well I believe you should receive permission with the client to place a trademark on the site. Some clients don't mind, but others would rather not have that information made public.

I normally place a hypertext link in the footer where all the other links are placed.

darrenfox

I offer a discount for allowing me to put a link in the footer on the homepage. Then I usually just use a key phrase to link back to my site.

sydneymatt

I think the footer is the best place for it. It's unobtrusive, yet can still be seen. Also, it seems that there's a bit of a convention that this is the place for it. I've seen a few such labels on other sites.

JMCDesigner

Well I believe you should receive permission with the client to place a trademark on the site. Some clients don't mind, but others would rather not have that information made public.

I normally place a hypertext link in the footer where all the other links are placed.

I disagree. It's your body of work so you shouldn't seek permission from a client. I've never had any objections from clients. Having said that if they had a problem with it and had valid reason to, I would remove it if they requested. An argument for the client would be to prove to other clients that it's actually your work, and not a cheap template or freebie preset website.

Having a small trademark on a piece of work you have created is no different to my laptop having 'Dell' written on the lid, or my car having a 'Ford' sticker on front. They are mine, I bought them, but I don't mind a trademark if its unobtrusive.

Small text hyperlink in your footer next to copyright is the way to go.

Last edited: