Learning XHTML and CSS, to create my own classified ads website

cosmicx

hello pros,

i dreamed of creating my own classified ads website. but right now im not that skilled to do that.

that's why i decided to learn web programming. as a start i started reading HTML, XHTML & CSS For Dummies ,7th Edition.

Im also reading references from w3schools.com, and i think somewhat they are defining and discussing the subject similarly.

but then, i learned about the existence of w3fools.com. Upon reaching their site, and i read on their main page. I think the site is saying that w3schools.com has several conflicting information about the subject about XHTML and some other more.

w3fools.com, i think, is telling that w3schools.com is a terrible reference?

if that is so... what then is the best reference book and site to read from, so i can learn web programming.

gurus, please help on this one. please mention about authors of books and links to online learning tools and resources. if you have some pdf file to share with me, i'll be more than happy to accept that.

thanks in advance.

ancom

If your goal is just to create website for adds, it would be easier for you to use wordpress, joomla or some other cms to create site. They are easy to install and learn and maybe are better solution for you.

cosmicx

If your goal is just to create website for adds, it would be easier for you to use wordpress, joomla or some other cms to create site. They are easy to install and learn and maybe are better solution for you.

thanks, but i am very much aware of those stuff. i also had used drupal to setup a classified ads site using cck and other drupal modules.

what i want right now is to learn the basic of web programming, and also the advance knowledge of it.

coz my goal is to create/develop/design my own classified ads website.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't worry too much about w3fools. While they have a point about w3schools and web standards to some degree, w3schools is a great place to gain a foundation in web coding. You can at least use w3schools to learn the basics, then branch out from there.

cosmicx

@ronaldroe

thanks... do you have any info about authors of books related to xhtml, html, javascript, php and mysql coding?

and do you suggest, jump to html5/css3 and leave xhtml/html behind? or what?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, as long as you are aware that older browsers (ie) dont like it too much, but thats ok, theres ways around such things...

cosmicx

thanks for the messages guys... i thinks i'm gonna read on Head First Series of web programming books to learn more.

and... I just learned that, DOCTYPE DECLARTION has very much to do with what type of markup will i use, xhtml or html5, etc...