Learning Dreamweaver

RichLather

Hi-
I'm attempting to learn Dreamweaver and have a very basic question for anyone kind enough to answer. I'm creating a site using tables (I will eventually learn CSS once I'm up to speed, but understanding tables seems easier for me to get my head around right now).

I created my site map, linking all pages with reciprical links before adding content. Once these links were established and I could see them in the site map I double clicked the index.html document to begin designing the home page. I created a table that was easy and usable for my design. After adding content (mostly images, some text) I decided to preview it in a browser (Firefox, not that it matters). All I saw was the blank white document with only the underlined links type for each link I'd previously set up in the site map. No table, no images.

What am I missing here? I assumed I was to create the home page directly in the index document window. Is this not so? Or do I create the page design elsewhere? What do I do with the links?

I'm confused. Please provide any insight you can.
Thanks.

Cicio

Did you insert images correctly? Did you save site right before preview? Is the code legit? The easiest way to make a good looking site is to design the template on photoshop and slice it into frames with imageready. It'll convert it into html when you 'save optimized as' and also make you an images folder. Do you have an images folder right now?

smashwebs

Yeah post the page and we can look at it for you pretty quickly. A good idea when you're learning Dreamweaver is to practice creating a site entirely in notepad or code-view, and rely on the Layout portion only when you get stuck. You'll learn the quirks of Dreamweaver really quickly, not to mention find out how much easier CSS can be to fix minor problems with =)

adamblan

Are you using a testing server by chance? - if so, make sure to put your files before displaying them...