Large Scale Website Design

superman

Hi Guys,

I've been working with pretty basic html, css, js over the last few years but am now wanting to develop a new larger site to house over 8000 products, which are uploaded by clients.

I fully expect to have to do a lot of learning and work in order to get the site done but basically i wondered if someone could point me in the right direction. I'll list a few features that i want to have on my site and hopefully someone will be kind enough to advise.

I want to basically set the site up then concentrate on my sales. So the site must have the following:

1. A search feature on the homepage, like www.yell.com/
2. A facility for about 8000 customers to upload their details and product to my site. These pages will all be styled the same but with a customers product and details on
3. A facility for the customers to pay me before they upload their info/images
4. And i guess maybe a database to handle the info as 8000 is quite a lot
5. A facility for users to create accounts and comment on each of the products
6. I basically want it to be self running with me there to sort out bugs etc

I use dreamweaver, flash and photoshop so could easily do this but i know the re will be a more efficient way of doing it than by just using them programs.

I've tried looking at Drupal but all of the basic themes are not what im looking for visually. I want something easy on the eye like http://www.moneysupermarket.com/.

Any advice would be great. Where do i start?!? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, Superman

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried looking at Drupal but all of the basic themes are not what im looking for visually.
well...modify it?

you will need a solid cms to do what you are after. Drupal probably would be a wise choice.

MarkR

It might be worth looking at an open source cart CMS like magento, you don't sound that versed on PHP or ASP and having a project like that to learn from will probably overwhelm you a bit.

www.magentocommerce.com/

CaldwellYSR

Don't listen to Pete Thomas. First off, this guy is on the Macromedia Team,
that right there will tell you that his opinion is completely unbiased so why
bother.

Why bother with an UNbiased opinion? I figure an unbiased opinion is what you want...