JS libraries

chrishirst

Staff member
can the web dev command the server to process older PHP files, say v.4, as PHP4? In short: is PHP backwards compatible if the file extension 'asks' for an older PHP processing?

Provided that both versions of PHP are installed on the server and filters/processing modules are configured so the commands are passed to the appropriate 'handler' certainly. You cannot mix versions of code in the same file in the same way that ASP and ASP.NET code cannot be mixed in the same file (.asp vs .aspx).

If you are going to mix PHP3 and PHP5 script code it has to be in seperate files.

No, it isn't.

But to the first question, it's important to understand that Node is completely different from the others you listed, and for that matter, isn't a library at all. It's a server-side component that uses JS as its language. I think it could easily unseat PHP, and I frankly hope it does. JS is a great language.

The others you mentioned can never replace anything, as they're client-side helper libraries. In other words, junk add-ons that people will come to over-rely upon.

Actually Ember, backbone and suck are more MVC based librarys meant for specific purposes. I think in todays market its good to have a handle on one MVC because I do see its uses applied to HTML5 as apps as its easy to make a one page site that is lightning quick.. for a full blown site , no , but even on Embers site it says 'A framework for creating ambitious web applications" so thats what they are there for.