jpeg w/ gray bg in IE6

anna

I am familiar with the problems of using .png images in IE6.

However, I am using jpegs and am still getting a gray background when I view my page in IE6.

Any reasons why???

Thank you, in advance.

sysgenmedia

Hi Anna,

jpegs don't support transparent backgrounds. You'll need to save the image as either a .gif or .png if you need transparency.

.png will generally be better quality, but you'll need to find a png fix script (there's a few out there for free) for older versions of IE.

.gif is generally not great for photo-realistic images, but will do the job for most other uses and doesn't need any help with older browsers.

Best,
Nathan

sysgenmedia

Hmm... have a link to where you're seeing the issue? The problem png's have with IE is generally just with transparency, so I figured that's what you meant.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Nathan, only problem i have encountered with images in IE are transparent pngs?
If the image is not transparent, it must have a solid background when you save out of Ps, so is IE changing the background color? adding a border?

anna

I'm not quite sure; but Nathan sent me a screen shot and there weren't any discolorations on his end so I'm thinking it was a monitor/color issue on my end.

I use dual monitors and it was only showing the discoloration on one, so I needed a new perspective. Thanks for all your help, gentlemen, and happy Friday! :)