Is It OK To Borrow An Design Idea?

MartyBoi

More so then maybe often I find myself intrigued or in a state of wow because of an awesome design I had came across on a Website. As a matter of fact I get the want to use parts of the other persons awesome design and integrate it into some of my own designs. As a newbie in the Web Design World, I feel a bit un-ethical and somewhat involved with plagiarism.
I don't want to get into the habit of using other peoples ideas, and this is not a very professional standard. But I have to ask, is it OK to borrow ideas from other Websites? And how far can one go without violating Copy Rights Laws. And please note, I'm not trying to duplicate another s Website. Lol

Thank You....

Modern_Media

Hi Marty,

It's not uncommon to use ideas from other designers as long as you don't actually TAKE artwork from their site.
A majority of web designers out there get their inspiration from other designers. It's the only way you are going to succeed in this business.

The best compliment you can get is when someone claims your website is a template when in reality, you designed it 100% custom (yes, using stock photography still makes a website custom).

gowebbaby

Get inspiration form someone and copying someone is two very different thing. if you really wanna make your place in the field of web designing and wanna establish yourself as a good web designer then you should use your own creativity instead of using others ideas.

Fireproofgfx

I have a favorites folder just for sites that I come across daily that intrigue me. So I can look at them later for ideas. I think it is common to do so for inspiration before doing a project.