Is it legal to display movie poster images on a site?

lnorman16

I am about to design a website for a local video rental store-- does anyone know the legal issues surrounding displaying the artwork of a movie poster on a website? Just thought I'd ask this forum. Thank you for reading this

SpiderWeb

My guess is that it is legal for the video store to display the artwork because they own the video and are merely trying to promote it. Once clips start getting shown then you should start worrying. I'm no lawyer though.

walkingbird

I am sure the move store signed a contact with what rights they have so you would have to get them to contact there suppliers.

joe

I would check before I used an image of a movie poster online. There is a lot of legal issues with posting images on the internet if you personally don't own them. If this is a fairy large chain, speak with the legal department. If not then you'll need to speak with a copyright lawyer. If the movie store does have permission to use that image make sure and get the image the movie store owns and not one from another site on the internet.

joe

Well, depending on who is hosting the site and who is the site owner will determine who takes the heat. If they pay you to build the site and host it, then you might be liable for some of the heat.

4folds

I have a thought for you... If you want to display a movie poster, then become an "affiliate" for a company that does have the rights. For example, you can sign up with Amazon.com to become an Affiliate ( https://affiliate-program.amazon.com ), and then they'll give you the Picture and also a link to their site so someone can buy the movie. If they do make purchases, then you get a commission. So, you both get the image and can make some cash off it.

Another site that does this is All Posters - http://affiliates.allposters.com/

plaveb

you should visit the site of DMCA

WELL DMCA stands for digital millenium copyright act, where you can have better understanding of this intellectual propery right issues related with web.

you can also take help from copyscape.com where they might tell you the proper guidance regarding this issues.

wetgravy

Most of the time sites are in the clear from presenting things like movie posters and such. Mainly since they are either for fan graphics or for an example of a resale item from an ecommerce store. Now if you try to claim those images as your own .. then you have a problem. But just hosting them with a "coming soon to x store" sort of content ... you shouldn't have a problem.