Is a wordpress buildout really faster?

helloworld

so.. I'm starting to look into options for "cheap" clients. I'm not at all sold on the bells-and-whistles of wordpress, or its plugins. I do have some experience with DNN, which I imagine is very similar, but have never used wordpress before..

My question is: Is a custom wordpress template going to be faster than making a site from, say, an archived psd that an old client shot down?

I don't really think it's worth learning for me right now.. but I'll admit I'm curious.

rahmanpaidar

Depends what skill you have more. For me designing from scratch is much simpler than using available templates. I'm sure there are so many people who disagree and are so much comfortable with templates.

Pheno

I'm not sure the initial design is faster using Wordpress. The main benefit of basing a site around a CMS is that is allows customers to update their own content for free.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
like the saying goes, "there are 10 types of people in the world, those that know binary...and those that dont."

a web designer/developer, will always be able to code something faster, quicker and better than a template. whilst someone who makes webpages for a hobby will tell you otherwise. depending on which side of the fence you sit depends on what is best for you.

if you are a coder you will get frustrated at the bloated, unnecessary code. If you are a hobbyist you'll be happy to not have to code all the little fancy bits that come with the template.

oh and I hate WP. but thats just me. it actually suits a lot of people apparently, just not me...

krymson

It is simple to build a site from scratch, believe me my site is done in WP and it took me a month to get everything down right, but the good thing with word press is it's versatility and ease to add pages and content on the fly or on your cell phone via the WordPress app which is nice for companies who blog.

reverseengineer

Coding from scratch is easier if the site won't be handled by the client. But wordpress is not hard to learn at all. You can completely customize any template to look anyway you want, plus you get the added functionality of having clients update their own stuff. I don't see the big deal about using wordpress. I usually strip the template down to just the "content" section, and build my custom site around it. No big deal

LouTheDesigner

Coding from scratch is only quicker if you aren't able to reverse engineer the wordpress content. Ironically, "reverseengineer" seems to use the exact same method that I use. Once you fully understand WP, web development becomes really freakin simple. Gotta love the plugins that save you hours of PHP development.

Although Magento is king of the e-commerce CMS world, Wordpress is somewhat stepping in, even in that department.

One thing I want to do is get rid of the term "Wordpress blog" and just say "Wordpress site"

-Lou