Introduction

iamshawnrice

Hi.

My name is Shawn Rice.

I have been teaching myself HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (jQuery FTW!) and I just launched my first professional redesign.

Please take a look: http://environmentalservicelab.com

The client is pretty set on the look of it, but I would love some feedback.

Thanks, and I look forward to learning a thing or two from this place.

anna

Hi.

My name is Shawn Rice.

I have been teaching myself HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (jQuery FTW!) and I just launched my first professional redesign.

Please take a look: http://environmentalservicelab.com

The client is pretty set on the look of it, but I would love some feedback.

Thanks, and I look forward to learning a thing or two from this place.

Hello and welcome, Shawn.

As far as the site; I like where you're going but I think there's entirely way too much *stuff* on the index page. From the slideshow of images to the animated header to the busy, busy logo, my head starts to spin.

I would put the "who we are" above the slideshow, for starters. In the logo- I like the beaker pouring, but I would get rid of that weird cross hatch looking table thing in the background. The logo combined with the animated water drops give me a head ache.

The site on a whole, seems a bit dark, can you play with the color scheme? How about some earth tones since it's an environmental service lab company?

I hope you don't feel discouraged, but ask and you shall receive (feedback that is) :)

iamshawnrice

No, not discouraged at all. Thank you.

This process was a classic case of too many chefs in the kitchen. I was working with the client through a liaison who was an international grad student (read: issues with communication via typed English). And she was just the point person representing an entire class- way too many ideas swirling around.

I did what I could with what was given to me, and at the end of the day I am happy that the thing is launched and that the client has hired me ofr the next project, sans the liaison.

Again, I appreciate the feedback- most of my friends are non-techies.

anna

You know what they say about too many chefs in the kitchen... One is bound to get a finger chopped off! :D

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
First the content needs to be in the screen.
the header is too deep and the slideshow directly underneath it dont really work.
the paragraphs need some extra line-height.
I'd also lose the background on the headers and use a serif font for the headers for differentation.
the nav needs to go all the way across, do some creative padding to the other menu items to make up the gap.
also you should have the top level menu always linkable to a page, even if it is just a menu for the sub-menu.
your padding in general needs to be more consistent. for instance the courier services page looks unbalanced.
And it is quite dark. it needs to incorporate more of the "environmental" component of the business.

Would I be correct in assuming you were given the logo as an asset and didn't create it? I'd see that as a perfect opportunity for a rebrand as well...