Images for a website

wbmkk

Hi

I want some advice please regarding photographs for a web site

I want to use relevant forums to ask for images. The photographs will be on one particular object only, each taken from the street.

Think of ‘road signs’ …it’s not this, but the same sort of item; no people would be involved.

I hope to ask in the forums for examples and I will add the comment that they are required for a website and the assumption is that if people submit images, then they are happy for this to be done. If anybody is not happy, they would obviously not submit the photos in the first place

Seems pretty straightforward to me .. but !

What if somebody sent me a photo which they had found on another site. Would I then be in bother legally if I used this image. Maybe this is not a problem, but I just want to get my first website right, without any unnecessary worries.

Final question, would it be better for me just to ask for examples to be pasted on to the forum pages, or should I give an e-mail address for these to be sent to me. Just thinking about it now, maybe the latter method is too risky, even using a web based email account and opening the images in another computer rather than my own machine.

Many thanks in anticipation :)

alloydog

You should at least have the contact details of the people who submit the photos saved somewhere. Then, should a copyright issue be raised, you can contact the person who submitted the photo and ask them where they got it from. The first thing you do if someone complains, is reply, explaining that the image was received in good faith, with permission to display it. Say that you are contacting the provider of the image, and offer to remove the image whilst there is a dispute of copyright ownership. Asking them for proof of copyright ownership as well wouldn't hurt.

I would also put a clear disclaimer that the photos displayed on your website have been submitted by other people, and in good faith that they have the right to distribute the photos concerned. Then by each photo, clearly indicate at least the name of the person who submitted the photo. Also, add a link to their website, if they have.

As for getting the photos, some forums might limit the size of the image. It might be better for people to send you the full-size image directly, so you can decide ow to display it.

Last edited:

wbmkk

Alloydog

Thanks for your reply; you make some very worthwhile points and I'll do as you suggest.

Yes, will just use an email address for photographs, which I can then adjust as required.

I am attending a web design course at present and see that you can run a slide show, for which the images should be the same size.

Maybe I could have a 'top 10 widget photos' each week showing, then when more arrive pick another 10 etc.

ps. My site will not be about widgets ... that's just an example :)

Once again, thanks !

Last edited: