I'm just frustrated!!!!

Rainey

I don't know how designers do it! I'm working on a new site of mine and I thought everything looked great. I designed the header in photoshop and it was beautiful. Then I uploaded it and viewed from my mothers computer and well it looked squished together. My monitor is wide and I designed from my monitor...but I did the header at 800 width so why does it look squished? Kinda like...you took both sides and pulled them in a little bit and now it's out of proportion.

In addition...HOW do sites with HUGE graphic content get it to load so fast? Like I know a LOT of sites that are designed completely in photoshop and then sliced up however they still load pretty fast.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shannon

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Not answering all of your question, but they could have fast dedicated servers to host their website as opposed to shared web hosting.
It is also generally not a good idea to have too heavy a page of sliced up photoshop graphics, better to balance it with text, which apart from increasing the speed with which the page loads, it is more importantly better for search engines which index text.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
make sure that your header image defined using a set width/height. that should keep it proportionate.

kiko_friendly

A couple of things could cause the squished look.

If you are viewing the image alone, the resolution in combination with Internet Explorer will mean that IE resizes it itself. To see the full version, hover over it and a weird button will appear in the bottom right corner of the screen, click that.

If you are NOT viewing the image alone, then the problem is completely unknown to me! Might have something to do with the image width being a % value? If it's a pixel value, it should be fine...

Meh...

kiko_friendly

Oh and to make your image load quicker, click on "save for web" when you want to save your pic.

I just save it as a jpeg and try to keep it under 200kb unless it NEEDS to be really good quality.