iframe within an iframe

zixserro

I'm working on a website that mainly uses iframes for its content. There is one large iframe that houses all of the content, which is accessed by a menu on its left. However, I decided that one of the main parts of the site should have a second iframe within it. My question is: how do I make the links on the menu outside of the iframe link to pages within the second (inner) iframe while still loading the page of the first (outer) iframe? The content on the outer iframe is the same page for all of the links for that section of the site; the only content that I want to change is on the inner iframe.

zixserro

In case there's any confusion, here's some images I made to help explain:

Layout1_zps1f4be788.png

This is the overall layout for the whole website. The menu on the left influences the content in the iframe on the right. It works just fine.

Now, this is the piece I can't figure out:

Layout2_zps5da3519c.png

The links under Main 2, and the text of Main 2 itself, all link to a single part of the website, which is displayed in the upper iframe in this image. There are buttons in the upper iframe that manipulate iframe 2, changing the page that is displayed there. What I want to do is to make the items under Main 2 on the menu to keep the upper frame at the page it's on, and only manipulate iframe 2.

So, does anyone know how to do this?

Edge

Frames

Why the need for frames and iframes out of curiosity? You do realise each frame will get indexed by Google and potentially show up in search results - could be very confusing arriving at a content page with no navigation...
I'm guessing it's not going to be too tablet/phone friendly too.

zixserro

Managed to think up a simple solution to the problem: just make the same page multiple times, but change the source for the initial iframe.

Why the need for frames and iframes out of curiosity? You do realise each frame will get indexed by Google and potentially show up in search results - could be very confusing arriving at a content page with no navigation...
I'm guessing it's not going to be too tablet/phone friendly too.

I just like them. They keep pages neat and uniform; I tried doing this setup without the second iframe, and the items on the top part of the page kept shifting around. I'm looking into how to not index pages, as I just did a search for the site and the second and third results were, as you said, without any navigation. I hadn't even thought of that.

As far as being phone-friendly, I made a separate site for phones. It still needs a lot of work (I need to learn how to make phone-based sites scale and work still), but it's there.

Edge

I just like them.
Seriously, you should consider not liking them. This is an outdated technology that's fallen so out of usage to the extent you barely ever see them anymore and for good reason. Just Google 'why frames are bad' and to be honest most of the posts are from 5 years back when people gave up using them.