I want to launch a website

Airehk

I have been working with my first ever client for the summer months (woo hoo!) building a website, but I am at a roadblock. I have never launched a website before.:eek:

I have looked around at different internet domain registrars and web hosting companies—most notably "doteasy" and "godaddy".

Here's the situation, I need a full tutorial on how to do this. You could say I need someone to hold my hand and walk me through the process because I am at a loss.

I have the funds to launch the site, I have the paypal and credit card at my disposal to get it all online, but the issue is the website's domain will not in anyway be associated with me. It will be with the client.

What frightens me about this is in the whole set up process, I am essentially setting up a domain on these internet domain registrars(IDR), yet they are asking me for my billing information, my address, my contact info where it will be the client's website. Now certainly I do not want to be paying for the client's website on a monthly basis with them reaping all of the rewards, that's their expense. Why should I pay to help earn them business, ya know?

So first and formost, I am looking for the best IDR to use for the means of simply providing 2 basic html pages and one php page so customers can contact the client. I don't know if these IDR's like to price gouge for simply having php coded into the page.

I suppose this is sufficient information to get some discussion going, I'll provide more details if necessary.

Please help, I really need it.
Thanks.

leroy30

Hi Airehk, congrats on your first client!

I'd say your best bet is to do some Google research as there is a lot to be covered.

But to start, a few pointers...

1. Make sure the "domain registrant" is your client. Manycowboy web designers register the domains in their own name which is unethical.
2. Make the technical contact your details so if people have a problem with the website, they know who to contact. For example the IDR's you mention may at some stage need to contact the person in charge of the website and domain administration. That is you (even though the client is ultimately responsible).
3. Don't use GoDaddy. Their service is pig slow. Sorry if there are any GoDaddy supporters here! Of course each has their own experiences.
4. A *simple* website with some PHP script is going to be cheap to host. Around $10 - $20 a month should give you a good quality hosting package more than capable to host a regular website. Now of course if the website is getting kazillions of hits this may change but if it's just your local start-up of 10-man company should be fine at least to begin with.
5. You'll need to set the domain DNS details to point to the hosting and email servers. Hover most places you can register a domain and hosting package together and they will handle it for you; though I still suggest you Google "DNS" and do a bit of research.

Well, there's a few starters. I better get back to work lol.

Good luck and sorry I didn't directly answer your question of who to go with but hopefully you still find this useful!

Airehk

Thanks for being thorough, leroy. I'll look into it and report back if/when necessary.

EDIT:

And here's the question, kind of.
I believe the company that my client works for has hosting services available for the employees themselves, so if they wanted to have a personal website up, they can, otherwise it's just a digital business card/profile—almost like an internal myspace/facebook. Now of course having my own hosting means I can reap all of the rewards, but I don't think this will be the ethical way to go about it. I'm only doing this to get my hands dirty—in a manner of speaking.

I emailed my client seeing if they have an IT guy that could provide me with login information to more or less just upload the site rather than having anyone pay for a whole new domain registration.

So the long short of it is, I have the html, css, php and graphics files all nicely packaged and organized in a folder on my computer. I get the said login info and upload the "file" myself or just hand it over to the IT guy and they upload it via FTP. After all is said and done, the website should be live and Bob's you're uncle.

I suppose this isn't a question, but I'm just checking to see if I have the fundamentals of the process figured out.

Thanks.

Last edited:

drding

Yep that's basically it. Since you're not working with a CMS or any databases, it's just a simple move from one directory to another.

Also, if you end up needing a separate host, I recommend MDDHosting, I've been with them for a while now and it's excellent service, and the prices are pretty easy on the pocket too.
And they're super helpful if there's a problem.

Airehk

It's certainly a rather quick learning process, thanks for the confirmation drding.

I really hope I remember MDDHosting because there is nothing better than options when hunting for a deal.

For the record, I sense a stigma with godaddy anyways, so I'll never actually use them.

So let's hope there's an IT guy I can speak to with this company, because I need someone bilingual in both web and english:p